Introducing a swamp cooler mid-fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grv

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm brewing a cream ale that should be pretty neutral. I'm using Wyeast 1056, which should be OK up to 72 degrees according to their site. It's 67 degrees ambient in my basement. The stick on thermometer on my better bottle says 70 degrees. May be warmer inside.

Because I am hoping for a neutral tasting crowd pleaser, I just now put the better bottle in a plastic container of water, wrapped it in a towel, and pointed a fan at it on low. It's already been fermenting vigorously for about 10 hours so far. I don't want to shock the yeast to sleep with a big temp drop.

I haven't put any ice in the container. With just water wicking through the towel and a small fan on low, what can I expect for temp reduction? Should I just pull it from the water and let it run at the temp it is at?

Thanks!

It won't shock your yeast to drop the temp 5-6 degrees via the swamp cooling and a few frozen bottles. It will take a while for that amount of liquid to cool anyway. You want neutral tasting? Get it a bit cooler.

Back