Interesting brew day, not sure what I made.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
Beer is the obvious answer... Here's the recipe for Dave's "Porter"

8# Pale LME
1# Choclate
.5 # Black Patent
.5 # Crystal 80

1 oz Nugget 15% @ 60
1 oz Willamette 5.3 @ 15
.5 oz Willamette 5.3 @ 5

Forgot my irish moss :(

Here's the story, Beer smith says my OG should have been 1.059, beercalculus said 1.067, I measured 1.052. This was my first time doing a full boil so I steeped in 1.5 gallons on the stove and brought 5 gallons to a roll on my turkey fryer. After adding LME & Hops and Fermcap to the turkey fryer I added about half of my wort from steeping into the boil... Guess what happened? Some of it made it on the ground :D 15 minutes later I added about half of what was left of my wort from steeping. On the ground we go again! 30 minutes out I pour the rest in. I had minor boil overs throughout the boil, not from foaming but from boiling too hard I guess. I tossed my immersion chiller into the pot at 15 minutes then let her rip at flame out dropping my wort to 80 degrees in about 20 minutes (at least something went right)

So, after reviewing everything in Beersmith and beer calculus, it is quite obvious that this isn't a porter, but a stout. I'm a little bit concerned about the discrepancies of beer calculus and beer smith... One said my OG & IBUs should have been 1.067 & 35 respectively and the other 1.059 & 55.5 IBUs. What's with the massive difference? I'm attributing my low OG because I lost a good amount of wort through the boil, but I still managed to stick a little over five gallons in the fermenter. Thoughts?

Here's a link to the beercalculus recipe, not sure which software I should trust. I was planning on moving to all grain today, but now I may wait until I get my 15 gallon pot from amazon this weekend as I'm scared of boil overs. I just hope my grains remain good till then.

http://hopville.com/recipe/482305/foreign-extra-stout-recipes/daves-porter-but-really-a-stout

I just figured out the IBU discrepancy... More hops utilization due to a full boil, I just changed my boil from 3 to 6 gallons on calculus and my IBUs jumped through the roof.

Back