Intarsia tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBVC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is not really a DIY project but I was so impressed with the work that I needed to post it. A little background, I have been a long time lurker here but infrequent poster. I have used the DIY forum for many projects including motorizing my grain mill, building my fermentation chamber, building a keg washer, etc. I am in the process of building a pub in a room of my house and was looking for tap handles that would look really cool. I created this logo first with Labely and couldn't get it to look like I wanted so I modified it in photoshop to get this:

3f01b6a8.jpg

I went to a local woodworking shop in Midlothian, VA called Midlothian Woodworks and asked the owner if he could etch my logo into a tap handle. He said that he did not do etching but could do it in intarsia. I had no idea what intarsia was but after seeing examples of his work I jumped on it.

Yesterday, I went by his shop to see the first of the handles and was stunned. Here is the picture that he took and sent to me.

0dae9f75.jpg

Here is the complete handle prior to the clear coating. The cool thing about this handle is that there is no paint or stain in it at all. All of the colors are done with different types of natural wood.

70c55614.jpg

I am going to post pictures of my pub build as I get work done on it.

Keith

I am not sure based on the amount of work that he would do one like this for the same price again.

Edit: I asked him and he said between $100 and $200 depending on the complexity.

Here is the bar build with the tap tower installed. I went with cabinets for the majority of the bar except the kegerators which I framed out and mounted doors on to match the other cabinets. I went with the cabinets because I have no woodworking skills and wanted the best look possible.
20121017_212731_zps49d15be7.jpg

A closer shot of the tower and handles.
20121017_213237_zps856bf292.jpg

I found this thread from the bar show off thread, quite impressive work! I thought it might have been intarsia when I saw the first picture, but the detail pictures are even better!

Being a woodworker, I can only imagine the work that went into those. $100 a piece was quite a steal!

Ben

You are right, the price was a steal. It took him over a month to finish the handles and the tower. He did win first place in a woodworking competition with this project. I think he ended up getting $500 in woodworking blades and bits. They are the main topic of discussion when people come over for the first time. Truly incredible work.

Latest posts

Back