Insulating keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to all grain and have my keggle ready with stainless steel coupler, tig welded in place with 1/2 inch stainless steel ball valve and inside pickup. I have added aluminum bubble wrap (used on hot water heaters) with aluminum tape. The tape is above the holes on the sides of the keg keggle. I plan on firing with propane. Should I worry about anything? Thanks for all responses

I large volumes, water holds it's temp pretty well. For that matter the mylar bubble wrap (reflectix) is only about r-3 and that is with a sealed,air tight air space. Try it with out, if you have the thing on a burner, fire it up when needed. I think you'll be happier than you would be with melted plastic everywhere.

Any particular reason you are planning to direct fire? I use a keg for an unfired-MLT and another for a HLT. I cover the MLT with a poorly-fitting lid from a big pot and an old blanket folded in half. As long as i have 20 pounds of grain or so in there, I only lose 3-4 degrees per hour--which is easily made up for by a little boiling water infusion halfway through.

Just sayin'.

I use an extreme cooler for mashing (more insulation) and it works fine. I insulated stainless steel tank for heating strike water and the stainless steel keg keggle for reducing the wort after mashing. Now to rethink methods before firing up units.

Back