Input on parts I need for cooler MT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Option

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my all grain rig together and am trying to get some input before I buy anything I dont need.

I have a 10g orange rubbermaid cooler now that I made a ball valve and bulkhead from home depot fittings but I am not happy with how it turned out so I am going to order the 1/2" weldless valve kit from northern for both coolers, one for MT, one for HLT. I am going to be using RIMS to get the HLT to temp and to recirculate the MT during mash. So I am trying to figure out how to set up the wort return in the cooler. Do I need to order the XL cooler bulkhead from northern and get some kind of 1/2 SS elbow that I can put a 1/2 nipple and some silicone tubing down into the mash? I have seen some examples of this going through the rig picture thread but cant find any now for a example. I am not so worried about the HLT as its just heating water so I get just a bulkhead with a QD to recirc hot water.

I was going to go with 3/8" and already have a few fitting in that size but have read people have problems with it using pumps for priming and so on so I just want to go 1/2" from the start and not have to redo it in the future.

Thanks for your advise on the rig, I have put way to much thought into fittings lately and there is soo much on Mcmaster Carr website it hurts my head. haha

Right section, confusing questions.

You're asking about the best way to set up a RIMS wort return in a cooler?

I've seen people put it through the top of the cooler lid and have it double as the sparge arm.

Back