input on all grain set up idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
Hello
I will be making the jump to all grain and am thinking of the following set up and wanted more experienced home brewers to weigh in. I will mostly be doing 5 gal batches at first but would like the flexibility to go to 10 gallons in the future. As far as higher gravity beers, I imagine that if I ever want to make them I would make them in 5 gallon batches. I am thinking of getting a 15 gal megapot (on a bayou burner) and mashing in a 36 qt rectangular cooler for 5 gal batches and a 70qt cooler for 10 gal batches (both with copper manifolds or bazooka screens). I only plan on batch sparging. I guess ultimately I want flexibility to brew 5 gal and 10 gal batches of all grain and if I end up wanting to do a barley wine or some other high gravity beer, I will do a 5 gallon batch as I know I would need a bigger brewpot for a 10 gallon batch. Thoughts?
thanks (I am getting fired up!)
Ben

You will be fine with that setup. You could look into only having one cooler if you are not planning on doing high gravity 10 gallon batches. Something in the 50qt range will easily do 10 gallon batches probably up into the 1.06's and take care of all your BW needs for five gallons. It would depend on the floor area of the cooler though as you would want enough grain bed depth to make a good filter on a five gallon batch.

a 48 qt cooler can make reasonable gravity 10 gallon batches and high gravity 5 gallon batches. A 70qt cooler can make high gravity 10 gallon batches.

For batch sparging, you don't need a fancy manifold in the MLT. A SS braid will work great. Bargain fittings has a good deal on everything you'd need to set up a cooler for batch sparge MLT.

If you work it right a 15 gallon pot is plenty big for making 10 gallons of high gravity wort. There are ways to make strong work without boiling for hours and hours.

Hello
I will be making the jump to all grain and am thinking of the following set up and wanted more experienced home brewers to weigh in. I will mostly be doing 5 gal batches at first but would like the flexibility to go to 10 gallons in the future. As far as higher gravity beers, I imagine that if I ever want to make them I would make them in 5 gallon batches. I am thinking of getting a 15 gal megapot (on a bayou burner) and mashing in a 36 qt rectangular cooler for 5 gal batches and a 70qt cooler for 10 gal batches (both with copper manifolds or bazooka screens). I only plan on batch sparging. I guess ultimately I want flexibility to brew 5 gal and 10 gal batches of all grain and if I end up wanting to do a barley wine or some other high gravity beer, I will do a 5 gallon batch as I know I would need a bigger brewpot for a 10 gallon batch. Thoughts?
thanks (I am getting fired up!)
Ben

You could mash both 5 and 10 gal batches along with 5 gal high gravity beers in the larger MLT. Why do you want two MLTs? I think you're on the right track, though. Sounds like you've done some research and got a handle on the equipment.

Also, why only batch sparge? You can do both with a copper manifold false bottom.

Good luck!
TiberconsolodateyourequipmentBrew

Thanks so much for you responses. I guess the reason for two MLTs is I was worried about grain depth for lower gravity 5 gal batches but I love the idea of just one. Sounds like a 48-50 qt may work for all my needs. As for fly sparging, I just dont have any experience with it and heard it is more difficult with rectangular coolers. If I built a copper manifold could I batch and fly sparge in a cooler of this shape? I am choosing rectangular for the lower height as I plan to set up a 3 tier sculpture and am trying to limit the height of boiling water above my head! Any input is again much appreciated

You can both batch sparge and fly sparge with a copper manifold. I'm speaking from personal experience.

The rectangular coolers are better for conserving overall height of your setup, but in all other circumstances, I'd recommend a round cooler for fly sparging. You'll get great beer either way, as long as your process is solid.

Cheers,
TB

The grain bed depth is not important for batch sparge. Your only concerned with bed depth when fly sparging. You also don't need a fancy manifold for batch. The bed depth and manifold are needed for fly sparge to reduce channeling. Batch sparge is less demanding.

The grain bed depth is not important for batch sparge. Your only concerned with bed depth when fly sparging. You also don't need a fancy manifold for batch. The bed depth and manifold are needed for fly sparge to reduce channeling. Batch sparge is less demanding.

+1 to just get a big one and also +1 to 15gal being less than ideal, but doable for a long boil 10gal batch.

Also (typically) less efficient.

If it were me, I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of fly sparging when choosing my equipment. You will be able to batch sparge with just about any fly sparge setup, but not always the case with the reverse.

Suppose you want to get into fly sparging later, after you're comfortable with batch sparging and want to experiment, you don't want to have to modify your equipment if it's not necessary.

two_cents.jpg

TB

You should have no problems getting 70% or greater efficiency with a batch sparge. Sure you may get more with a fly sparge but it's not about getting the highest score, It's about consistency.

So if I did want to eventually fly sparge AND be flexible with both 5 gal and 10 gal batches of various gravities, which size and shape MLT would you recommend? Would a 70 gal rectangular with a more extensive copper manifold work? I ask because amazon has the 70 gal coleman extreme on sale for 36 bucks right now!
thanks
Ben

So if I did want to eventually fly sparge AND be flexible with both 5 gal and 10 gal batches of various gravities, which size and shape MLT would you recommend? Would a 70 gal rectangular with a more extensive copper manifold work? I ask because amazon has the 70 gal coleman extreme on sale for 36 bucks right now!
thanks
Ben

The 70 qt rectangle will not work well with a fly sparge. Unless your doing a big 10 gallon batch with a ton of grain. It's a much better MLT for batch sparge. And really batch sparge works great.

You should have no problems getting 70% or greater efficiency with a batch sparge. Sure you may get more with a fly sparge but it's not about getting the highest score, It's about consistency.

It's about consistency, and if you want to save some money and use less grain, it's also about efficiency.

I know this is an age-old debate, so I won't tell you which method to use, but I would strongly recommend building a setup that can utilize both methods. You won't regret it.

TiberaslongasyoubrewwhatyoulikeBrew

Back