Inline Water filter advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
I am running a water line using PEX to my stove in my basement and would like to install a water filter that removes chloramine (st. louis water uses it instead of chlorine) from the water. What can i use that is easy to replace the filter? I'd like to use something that would filter to 1000s of gallons and not be too slow of a flow (hopefully not too much to ask). Any advice would be great. I'm looking to spend under $100 bty

Chloramine is very hard to remove with a filter. As far as I know, campden tablets will knock out chloramine.

everyone I have seen swears by the the Blue RV filter that you can get at walmart for $25. From what I understand, nothing will filter chloramine though. even boiling doesnt remove it. As above mentioned, campden tabs are the way to go.

You might want to look into a plain standard 10" filter housing and this filter:
Chloramine Filter.

Search amazon or filtersfast for "ChlorPlus 10". You might also want to get 2 housings and run them in series with a 5 micron pre-sediment filter before the ChlorPlus.

Like this:

Filters.jpg

You might want to look into a plain standard 10" filter housing and this filter:
Chloramine Filter.

Search amazon or filtersfast for "ChlorPlus 10". You might also want to get 2 housings and run them in series with a 5 micron pre-sediment filter before the ChlorPlus.

Like this:

+1 - Amazon.com is the way to go for filters. I way overspent on a 3M model at Lowes and I regret it every time I go to buy new filters.

Stirring 1/8 of a teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite per 5 or 6 gallons of water in the boil kettle clears out chlorine and chloramines 100% within minutes. A small jar costs $2 and last 100+ gallons.

Stirring 1/8 of a teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite per 5 or 6 gallons of water in the boil kettle clears out chlorine and chloramines 100% within minutes. A small jar costs $2 and last 100+ gallons.

Yep, this is what you need to use, no inline filter is going to be able to remove chloramines in the time you need I to. A charcoal filer can improve taste but can't completely remove the chloramines. Chloramines are designed to stay in the water while chlorine can easily evaporate from water chloramines are chlorine that has been bonded with ammonia to keep the chlorine in the water....actually it's been used for quite some time

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yep, this is what you need to use, no inline filter is going to be able to remove chloramines in the time you need I to. A charcoal filer can improve taste but can't completely remove the chloramines.

The Carbon block I linked to is specifically designed to remove chloramines. Depending on how much you are talking about in your tap water. Personally I have less than 1ppm of chloramine in my tap water. (FAS DPD pool test kit can test for both Chlorine and Chloramine pretty precisely)

"Catalytic Activated" carbon is designed specifically to remove chloramines. IF you want, you could actually put this before the ChlorPlus block and have refillable catalytic activated carbon filter: Carbon housing

BUT, I do agree with you, if you have like 5 ppm of Chloramine, then these carbon blocks won't remove ALL of it.

If you read the spec sheet on that block at a flow rate of 1 GPM it's good for 1,000 gallons and at .5 gpm it's good for 2,500 gallons (Those specs based on 3 ppm of chloramine)

Even at .5 GPM that's only 5 minutes to collect 10 gallons of brew water, not too bad.

I personally have the ChlorPlus block, but have it set up prior to my RO/DI system since the chloramines are not good for the RO membrane or the DI Resin. So I need to remove them BEFORE my filter system and the Campden won't work in this case for me.

Chloramine Filter.

Like this:

From what I understand (as discussed), carbon does not remove chloramine.
That filter you linked is 4" around, and 20" long and does not fit in a standard filter housing.

That filter fits in this housing. Those filters are designed for whole house applications so a slow flow of even 1 gpm should increase performance. Lots of aquarium hobbyists use catalytic carbon to remove chloramines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are "reduction" filters. To avoid band-aid-beer you need to *remove* it.

I got the Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector from amazon. It says it will last 3 months used as a filter fr an RV. How many gallons can I expect to get out of this?

About 20............:D

I figure they use that as a "disclaimer" of sorts, as a lot of folks will neglect their water systems on R V's during the "off season", ( I've seen it, I used to fix them!), so most will install anew next season.

I always sold them a new filter, when it came in for said service after storage.

I have a friend that uses that filter and has just now replaced it after 3 years. It will filter alot more than 20 gallons, hell a brita filter does more than that.

Back