Inline Oxygen Kit vs Oxygen Wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious benefits of using inline oxygen from kettle to fermenter vs just using an oxygen wand once in fermenter. I've been debating making a move from my oxygen wand, but not sure if it's more convenient, makes it easier to hit 8 ppm, or other benefits of these inline kits? Any feedback much appreciated!

Just curious benefits of using inline oxygen from kettle to fermenter vs just using an oxygen wand once in fermenter. I've been debating making a move from my oxygen wand, but not sure if it's more convenient, makes it easier to hit 8 ppm, or other benefits of these inline kits? Any feedback much appreciated!

I use the wand but like the idea of the inline. The only con I see with the inline is if you can't chill the wort down as it is being oxygenated so it stays in solution.

So I’m no expert but here are my observations.

A few years ago I went to a Brewing camp where they used the Ruby Street fusion 15 brew rig. They were fermenting the beer in SS conicals. They had an in-line system that attached at the bottom of the conical and seemed to work great.

After this event I bought a Fusion 15. It came with the inline O2 system. Problem is I use glass and plastic carboys so I’m filing from the top. I attached the O2 tee on the outlet of my plate chiller and I don’t think this was very effective since I have a slow flow going through the chiller to cool the wort.

I decided to go back to using my wand.

I have an inline that I situated on the outflow of my Therminator. I just hit the pump button and scoot around the back to turn on the O2. I leave it on for about 1/2 the volume of wort. It doesn't seem like either a wand or inline is much difference. I already had the fittings I used, a SS union and tee, so all I had to buy was stone, the 1/4 " tubing, and the regulator. But the extra fittings probably negate the extra price of the wand.

In line - makes sense for commercial breweries for efficiency

homebrewers - pointless waste of time and money. Use a wand for 60 seconds and you’re done.

In line - makes sense for commercial breweries for efficiency

homebrewers - pointless waste of time and money. Use a wand for 60 seconds and you’re done.
If you have a conical fermenter the inline makes sense because it can then be used as a closed process, less likely to get infected. Otherwise I use the wand.

^^^That is why I went with in line unit recently. If you have a nicely sealed and sanitized fermentor, it is nice not to have to open it for 02 wand. On the other hand, the wand worked for me fine for many batches.

It would be easy to turn on & off, but for me entails a run down the stairs. I think I can throttle back with valve on device, even if not precise... But current batch of yeast seems very happy with starting 02 level. This batch was a "wort into fermentor with recent yeasty residue in conical job". (aka on yeast cake, I think). we will see, but was first batch with accessory, I'll probably iron it out.

Did you figure out the apparently excessive O2 use by your in-line stone?

Cheers!

Jumping on this one, because I’m about to switch from aeration to oxygenation. I have a Brewtech Chronical, and could do inline, but I really like the simplicity of the wand. Just dip it in my kettle at flameout, while whirlpooling through my counterchiller, then moving it on over to the Chronical while I dump the wort in. Bing, bang, boom. All those in-line kits seem real sexy and suave, but I don’t think I need it. Plus, as pointed out, it could seemingly be excessive oxygenation.

What I really need to find out it how to store the disposable oxygen tank when not in use. My garage gets up to 85 degrees or maybe 90, so that’s out, right? Need to store it in the laundry room, perhaps?

What I really need to find out it how to store the disposable oxygen tank when not in use. My garage gets up to 85 degrees or maybe 90, so that’s out, right? Need to store it in the laundry room, perhaps?

Keep in mind that those get shipped just like any other freight, and sit in hot transfer trailers in all sorts of conditions with no issues, so your 85-90 degree garage shouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back