[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait - if you're backing up a working SD card, wouldn't whacking all the partitions on the card be contra-indicated?

Cheers!

O.O

Yes!

Somehow missed the "backing up" portion of his post. I assumed he was trying to install for the first time, like everybody else in the thread so far.

Uh oh.

Worst case, can run some recovery software on it with a sector-by-sector scan. :\ Could be fun.

O.O

Yes!

Somehow missed the "backing up" portion of his post. I assumed he was trying to install for the first time, like everybody else in the thread so far.

Uh oh.

Worst case, can run some recovery software on it with a sector-by-sector scan. :\ Could be fun.

:mad: messed up the card will have to reformat and start from scratch :mad:

Question:
The Pi pick my router up as 192.168.0.0 and my router IP is 192.168.0.1
Will this make a difference?

It will be done when it's done - and I suspect no sleep will be lost by the dev team over anyone buying hardware in advance of the V2.0 release.

In any case, along with whatever shows up on the official RaspberryPints site, you can follow the Github action here...

Cheers!

[...]I also had the idea based on the motion sensor idea mentioned in earlier posts - for some their keezer is located in living space rather than a man cave or garage and constant motion near the keezer would keep the taplist on constantly. what about replacing the motion sensor with a pressure switch that could be located beneath a doormat or small run in front of the tap? so that the display only activated when you were standing in front of the taps? anyone have thoughts on such a switch? sources or possible hardware to use? the rest of implementation should be similar to that of the motion sensor i would imagine.

fwiw, the PIR sensor can be tuned for both sensitivity and delay. I've already found the value of the latter, and I bet you could tune the former so it would require as much as a hand wave at the sensor to trigger the tap list.

I've just returned from some serious vacationing in the Bahamas but with a full day of occupational work under my belt I'm back in home life groove. While the 'Pints team labors on V2 I'm going to drag the 'Pi back up to my office and get back into trying to solve the whole "monitor never really sleeps" issue. It has become my Great White Whale, dammit...

On a more positive note, my youngest son acquiesced to his mom's request and came over last weekend to water the houseplants while we were gone. I had told him to help himself to the keezer. Of course the tap list lit up with a "TA DA!" and he nearly soiled himself.

Fun stuff! :D

Cheers!

Dsc04164_sm.jpg

I bought a clear plastic box in the Office supplies section of Walmart. I think it was 79 cents. Used an razor knife to cut a hole in the top (7/8" x 7/8") and used a dab of silicone to hold it in place. Hardly noticeable and works great.

Ray. I think this is it. Although shows $0.88

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398734897.559343.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398734862.221294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I admit, this is my first time using a Pi so bear with me.
Is there a way to utilize empty space so where a portion states "Next on Tap" and then shows the next keg or whatever is "On Deck"?
Similar to this? (used cut/paste method to get this)

Simple.jpg

Aaaaand it just plain works!

Notes:
- Verify that the two pin jumper is positioned as shown in hc_sr501.jpg

Cheers!

So I've been trying to fix my PIR for a couple weeks. As far as I can tell, there is no jumper where you said there should be. Sorry about the photo quality (or lack thereof). How do I jump them? Which ones do I jump? It doesn't look like your photo.

Thanks! I really want to get the motion sensor working and I didn't want to ask until I could be very sure that the wiring and connections weren't the problem ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398807598.152758.jpg

Hi Dan! I was thinking of pm'ing you to see if you ever got your sensor working.

My sensor literally looks exactly like this picture when oriented the same way
190025d1396318076-initial-release-raspberrypints-digital-taplist-solution-hc_sr501.jpg

There is a three pin header in the southwest corner with a jumper cap shorting the bottom two pins, and that is how my sensor is configured. I haven't verified it but I believe this setting allows the delay adjustment to function, and with the cap instead shorting the top two pins I think the sensor just fires every instant it "sees" a change in its IR sensor array and ignores the delay adjustment. Haven't verified the latter as I've always had the bottom two pins shorted and thing has always behaved as expected.

And I have no idea what happens with no jumper installed. Which I reckon is where you are.

Short the bottom two pads and see what happens.

Cheers!

Mine doesn't have those pins and I tried jumping the pads but that didn't work. I found a site that sells yours (exactly like mine but with those pins) for $1. Shipping was an additional 2¢. I ordered it and I'll hope for the best. Thanks for help. I guess my PIR just hates me.

This is the incorrect one, listed as SR501
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398814642.806352.jpg

I admit, this is my first time using a Pi so bear with me.
Is there a way to utilize empty space so where a portion states "Next on Tap" and then shows the next keg or whatever is "On Deck"?
Similar to this? (used cut/paste method to get this)

Not at this time.

Though it's certainly something I want to do, once we get the flow meters integrated that is.

Not at this time.

Though it's certainly something I want to do, once we get the flow meters integrated that is.

For the time being, I just created a beer whose name was basically "anything below here is waiting to be tapped" and slapped that onto tap #5 (I have 4 taps) and it works perfectly.

And, it cannot be said enough - thanks for a great piece of software!

Hi Dan! I was thinking of pm'ing you to see if you ever got your sensor working.

My sensor literally looks exactly like this picture when oriented the same way
190025d1396318076-initial-release-raspberrypints-digital-taplist-solution-hc_sr501.jpg

There is a three pin header in the southwest corner with a jumper cap shorting the bottom two pins, and that is how my sensor is configured. I haven't verified it but I believe this setting allows the delay adjustment to function, and with the cap instead shorting the top two pins I think the sensor just fires every instant it "sees" a change in its IR sensor array and ignores the delay adjustment. Haven't verified the latter as I've always had the bottom two pins shorted and thing has always behaved as expected.

And I have no idea what happens with no jumper installed. Which I reckon is where you are.

Short the bottom two pads and see what happens.

Cheers!

It appears this item is also available from an Amazon vendor, or something strikingly similar

Edit: part does not work

It appears this item is also available from an Amazon vendor, or something strikingly similar

HC-SR501 Human Sensor Module Pyroelectric Infrared

http://amzn.com/B007XQRKD4

Please note that the one linked to above is the one I have that did not work for me. I posted it earlier as the incorrect one. The correct one may also be on amazon; I don't know. But I would have felt better buying from Amazon (although $2 isn't too much to risk when it's a paypal transaction).

Is anyone running brew pi and raspberrypints on the same R-Pi?
Can you share a bit about your setup, tips, tricks, challenges?

I am if you follow my link real close to your post look at the top right icon

That looks awesome. I'm curious how you modded the BrewPi interface to hide access to its controls?

Please note that the one linked to above is the one I have that did not work for me. I posted it earlier as the incorrect one. The correct one may also be on amazon; I don't know. But I would have felt better buying from Amazon (although $2 isn't too much to risk when it's a paypal transaction).

My mistake, deepest apologies for the oversight.

Pretty nice. Any notes in the build? Challenges?

I'm guessing your running the lamp stack on the Pi as normal, with tap list at index.php and then the brew pi at thecellar.php?

Brew pi is using the arduino for I/O and both are using the webserver for their respective public and admin displays yes?

Did you end up using component SSRs or add in something like a shield with integrated relays?

How did you setup your case/controller? I am assuming the keezer and ferm chamber are close together so the Pi can reach both easily? Or do you have a long run to one or the other? Or are you using a remote display like a tablet for the taps over wifi?

Interested in anything you have to say about it really. Considering doing something similar as both my keezer and ferm chamber are in the same room (though not next to each other), thought I could use a $100 android tablet for the tap list and use a desktop Mac near the ferm chamber for whatever I needed to do with that. With apt he clear case and LEDs and all, was thinking of mounting the whole thing into a picture frame to hang in the wall like a piece of electronic art and a conversation piece.

Thanks.

My mistake, deepest apologies for the oversight.

No apologies needed; it may work, but it didn't for me. I bet someone with a better understanding of it could've got it working.

Hmmm... Finally drained some kegs and went to put a new beer on tap and was thinking that when you select the beer from "My Beers" it would pull the vital stats on that beer when your tap a keg. Is it correct that we type all the stats each time we tap a keg? SRM, IBU, OG, FG....?

Pretty nice. Any notes in the build? Challenges?

I'm guessing your running the lamp stack on the Pi as normal, with tap list at index.php and then the brew pi at thecellar.php?
Yes that is correct, the brewpi folder is in the pints folder as well.. /var/www/rpints/brewpi

Brew pi is using the arduino for I/O and both are using the webserver for their respective public and admin displays
Yes, that is correct. theceller.php is the public version and the admin version is the index.php that is passworded.

Did you end up using component SSRs or add in something like a shield with integrated relays?
I used the 2 port relay board

How did you setup your case/controller? I am assuming the keezer and ferm chamber are close together so the Pi can reach both easily? Or do you have a long run to one or the other? Or are you using a remote display like a tablet for the taps over wifi?
Well it just so happens that mine are right next to each other. I mounted my rpi, arduino, and relays in a project box. A 12ft hdmi goes to the display, and cat5 extended probes(about 10ft) go to the fermentation chamber

Interested in anything you have to say about it really. Considering doing something similar as both my keezer and ferm chamber are in the same room (though not next to each other), thought I could use a $100 android tablet for the tap list and use a desktop Mac near the ferm chamber for whatever I needed to do with that. With apt he clear case and LEDs and all, was thinking of mounting the whole thing into a picture frame to hang in the wall like a piece of electronic art and a conversation piece.

There are many options, that I have tested that work very well for longer distances of the devices. USB can be extended easily via usb entenders ( I have a 32ft cable that was like$20-30), or by cat5 to usb. The same goes for HDMI. Go to monoprice.com they have all you need as far as a/v type stuff. Good Luck

Thanks.

Hmmm... Finally drained some kegs and went to put a new beer on tap and was thinking that when you select the beer from "My Beers" it would pull the vital stats on that beer when your tap a keg. Is it correct that we type all the stats each time we tap a keg? SRM, IBU, OG, FG....?

I have been having this happen as well; however, my neighbor does not have to enter anything when he does his - it auto populates. Not sure what the difference might be...

Mine auto populated until I upgraded to 1.0.3.

Back