Ingredients storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudzMaker

Reaction score
Hey,
Was hoping someone could direct me to a good online store for food grade, airtight storage devices.
My biggest challenge has been the 50lb bags of grain.
Hops, well I've been using freezer ziplock bags and storing in the freezer but maybe there is something better?
Cheers

For hops, a vac-sealer is a good investment (you'll use it for lots of other things, too). That will remove a lot of the air and reduce the amount of freezer burn over time.

BTW, the no-name rolls of freezer bag material on Amazon are much cheaper than the Food Saver brand, and just as good. Just cut off what you need each time. Seam the bottom, fill, vac-seal.

Last edited:
For grain and malts, just keep it in something that will protect it from pests. It doesn't have to be air tight unless you live in a extremely humid place.

Hops will do well enough for the short term if you just push as much of the air out of their bag as you can easily do and seal it with tape. Then put back in the fridge or freezer. Short term being about a year.

I have all Rubbermaid products for holding things like DME and dextrose. I line them with plastic trash bags, free ease of handling and transfer.

Grain is mostly stored in the sacks or came in.

Last edited:
For full bags I use rubbermaid style totes. Just store the bag in them, not emptying the grain. Once I get to 30-40lbs move to a couple vittle vaults. Someone in our club started using these. They look very functional and cheap. They're at Sams - 40lbs, foodgrade, handle & spout for pouring, & $15.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430_123108_Sam's Club.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430_123108_Sam's Club.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 0
Back