ingredients experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
So for a while now I been wanting to really familiarize myself with more malts without having to crank out multiple batches a week. So I was thinking of grabbing like 2oz of each malt from my LHBS. grind up each malt in a mortar bowl or chopper. put the grain in a reuseable teabag and mash it in a thermos @ 152 degrees for like half hour, let cool and taste.

Is this a good way learn about different malts?

Would I want to do each malt by itself or pair specialty malt with base malt?

So for a while now I been wanting to really familiarize myself with more malts without having to crank out multiple batches a week. So I was thinking of grabbing like 2oz of each malt from my LHBS. grind up each malt in a mortar bowl or chopper. put the grain in a reuseable teabag and mash it in a thermos @ 152 degrees for like half hour, let cool and taste.

Is this a good way learn about different malts?

Would I want to do each malt by itself or pair specialty malt with base malt?

That will work, but we detail an easier way in Experimental Homebrewing.

having trouble finding the article, you have a direct link or can you tell me where to find it please?

Sorry, it's in the book, not the website. I'll post the info later when I have a pdf at hand. Also, to answer your other question, I like to do each separately. Then I can blend them to see what combos would be like.

Latest posts

Back