INGENIUS (crazy) Fermentation/carbonation corny centipede experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
OK.......SO!

I am going to carb a fermented batch with the Co2 discharge of a fermenting batch.

I will have a gas to liquid hose connecting "fermenting" keg to "carbing" keg.

I am planning to do all the same IPA to discern any "3rd stage hopping" effect that may occur.

"Carbing" keg will have a check valve, holding at 15 psi.

How much Co2 does 5 gallons of medium (1.060) fermenting wort make?

How much Co2 does it take to carb 5 gallons to say 2.0?

I am guessing that with normal attenuation, one fermentation could carb something like 4 5 gallon batches.

Cool, eh?

Pics will be later. I need the check valve and I am pondering a check valve on the second keg connected by hose to a third keg containing a nother batch to carb.

I read that for each point of gravity drop 0.5 volumes CO2 are produced. This means that a 1.060 beer finishing at 1.015 (45 points) would be enough CO2 to carb 18 batches of the same size at 2.5 vol. If you take into account a finished batch is already at about 1 vol, it's more like 30 batches! (I think?)

Useless you have some sort of way to overcome the pressures in the fermenting vessel, I'll think you'll have issues.

15psi won't be enough to carbonate a beer at room temp. But you could refrigerate that keg some how.

At room temp your fermenting batch will also need a higher pressure than 15psi to get it into the other keg (and I'm sure it will get much higher than 15psi). So that will not be good on the fermenting batch. You'll change the flavor profile. Lagering can be done in warmer temps under pressure... So I'd expect you would get a lot cleaner profile than you may want.

Why not just ferment with a spunding valve and carbonate your beer while it finishes fermenting.

Simply leave the valve open while it ferments. Calculate the points needed for proper carbonation and deduct it from the expected final gravity. Close the valve once it hits that number and let it carbonate up.

That's pretty much what I'll do with my sanke fermenter setup. Then force transfer clean beer to the serving keg.

Insanim8er, clearly that is the best way to do it, but I am intrigued about all of the "Flavor and Aroma" that exits in good old Co2 discharge from an IPA.

Insanim8er, clearly that is the best way to do it, but I am intrigued about all of the "Flavor and Aroma" that exits in good old Co2.

I believe you want to blow off during the main fermentation due to volatiles. You wouldn't want that in your other beer.

OK! That was short lived, lol.

Is that right?

A year or so ago I was talking to a friend who is a brewer and got a bachelors in brewing about fermenting under pressure. So he understand all the science behind the beer, fermentation and yeast.

He looked at me like I was nuts and explained that you want the blow off crap to escape. Apparently there's unwanted compounds in that gas similar to boiling so DMS can escape. He wasn't aware that it still blew off during primary just under some restriction... But that's what made me think of this.

So I'd look more into that aspect.

Back