Information on finding Picnic taps locally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBeer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just getting into kegging. Keg is pressured up and beer is carbonating as we speak. Its quite simple but at this point I have no way to dispense the beer. For the time being I just want to use a picnic tap but I am having trouble finding these around my town. We don't have a very good home brew shop here, they only deal in wine mostly, and don't seem to want to help a beer maker... The other option is online, but I just got burnt online so a little reluctant right now. Any suggestions on a big box store, or another type of shop that might sell this. Thanks in advance!

You could talk to the local bars and restaurants and see who is servicing their beverage systems. The beverage company can certainly order one, if they don't already have a bag of them "in the back of the truck". Buy a nice dinner at the restaurant and they might toss you a picnic tap for free.

You could talk to the local bars and restaurants and see who is servicing their beverage systems. The beverage company can certainly order one, if they don't already have a bag of them "in the back of the truck". Buy a nice dinner at the restaurant and they might toss you a picnic tap for free.

How can one justify spending $60++ on dinner with a very small chance to score a $4 picnic tap? :drunk:

OP, you can attach ANY kind of faucet at the end of the hose. Like a cheap PEX faucet and a hose clamp.

The official name for "picnic tap" is Cobra tap, IIRC. Don't mail order a $4 item by itself, put it on your wish list until you have an order that's worth the shipping.

How can one justify spending $60++ on dinner with a very small chance to score a $4 picnic tap? :drunk:

You're right on that, for sure a personal deal. I probably spend more than I should at the breweries in town, mostly because those are the types of people I enjoy socializing with and supporting. Since we talk brewing so much while I'm there, it would be nothing to ask the GM if she has a spare cobra tap around, or if she could ask her beverage guy to grab one.

The safe solution, as @brewmadness pointed out, would be to go to the liquor store and ask them for one.

Let's acknowledge the OP is not located in or near a Mecca of Homebrewing, so it can be very difficult to source parts and supplies. So he needs to improvise and make do with what he can get.

I am curious about his "got burnt" experience with a recent online order. Those things shouldn't happen, even in Canada.

Hey thanks everyone for the replies. Yes small town Medicine Hat (look it up) doesn't have much in the way of breweries, home brew store, ect.... we have Coca-Cola bottling and PepsiCo. I've checked out some party/party rental and nothing turned up. I order some online through ebay 10bux for 5, free shipping from china blah blah...3 weeks later no package, sellers user name N/A. I couldn't imagine they are going to retire off my $10 so I am working with ebay to get it back (its the principal of it). I have a hard time justifying paying $15 shipping for a $4 tap plus exchange. I would wait to put an order together but my beer has been carbing for bit now and I would like to drink it that's all. I have thought of just attaching a hose with the clamp like someone else said but that gets messy and kind of a PITA. I guess at the end of the day im either going to have to spend $20 for a $4 tap online, wait to get to a bigger city, or use the hose and clamp method. I thought if anyone seen them at walmart, or Canadian tire, home depot, ect I dunno worth a shot! Thanks again everyone for chiming in.

As I said, any valve or faucet will work with an adapter/reducer, check you local hardware/plumbing store. I mentioned PEX brass faucets since they have a barbed end. I think they're 1/2" or 3/8".
You can insert a short piece of vinyl hose of the next size down to narrow the opening to fit a smaller barb, then a hose clamp to tie it down.

Back