Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was siphoning to my keg last week and noticedsomething I have never seen before. It sems consistent with acetobactor from a little research, but I'm not sure. I tasted last night after about 5 day in the keg. Cloudy and bitter/ sour.
Have any of you seen this before?
Best wishes

51504.jpg

Havnt seen it before but if it looks off, smells off, and tastes off, then its off. Pour it in the drain, clean then sanitize your equipment in total, and rebrew!

I agree and it's gone.
Keg has starsan soaking in it, and I will probably clean the carboy with a bleach solution prior starsan.
Next batch is fermenting now.
Lesson learned: I normally dry hop when I move the brew to secondary and cold crash after a week. The results have usually been ok, but nothing special. On this last batch, I attempted to dry hop after cold crashing thinking it might be more effective without the yeast dragging the flavor down with it. Since there was no active yeast, oxygen was made available to any bugs present.
I'm not sure how bacteria got in, but I will be spraying sanitizer like I have OCD on this current brew.
Regards,
TG

I was siphoning to my keg last week and noticedsomething I have never seen before. It sems consistent with acetobactor from a little research, but I'm not sure. I tasted last night after about 5 day in the keg. Cloudy and bitter/ sour.
Have any of you seen this before?
Best wishes

All I see is trub and cloudiness. Maybe I am missing something. I always have trub and cloudiness and my beer tastes great, so far. lol

Hollywood,
Take a closer lok at the top 1" of the beer. Looks like translucent white tentacles.
The picture is not great, but I've never seen anything like that.

Looks like yeast settling to the bottom as it was being agitated during the transfer

Back