Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
I need to know what this is, whether its an infection or just krauzen building up.

Everything sanitized, if it is an infection the only thing I did wrong is chilled the wort to 70F in the sink with cold water and putting in the carboy. Then waiting for the water to boil and doing the same to 70F. That long in the carboy with exposed air with tinfoil covered?

Looks like bubbles though, just added yeast like 10 hours ago so just want to know so I can sleep tonight lol

20140508_111549.jpg

20140508_111557.jpg

That's fermentation starting. An infection wouldn't take hold that quick... or at least I am pretty sure it wouldn't. Looks like krausen forming.

Given that it's only been 10 hours, I'd say that is the beginning of a krausen. It usually takes infections longer than that to develop visual evidence like that. Chill out and go to bed and check it in the morning.

Thanks guys, never made a batch in a carboy and see through the carboy honestly. I'll take a picture and show you if this is too much headspace.

As you can see I stopped at before it curved to the neck for krausen and added an airlock. Should I replace it with tin foil or cloth?

20140508_114043.jpg

Definitely not too much space for primary. The co2 from fermentation pushes out any oxygen quickly and the headspace gives your krausen plenty of room to grow. RDWHAHB

Looks good. leave it alone. maybe cover it with a towel to keep it out of the light.

The only time you want it up in the neck of the carboy is if you secondary it. Otherwise as MrHopScotch said there's not too much room and you'll likely appreciate the fact that you have that much room when the krausen really starts forming.

Perfect, I did cover it with a shirt. All my carboys xD

The airlock at primary is fine right? No explosion?

and the kit says 8 days so theres no point in secondary? or should I?

Longer the better right

The beer is fine. Let is sit in primary until you get 3 staight days of consistent hydrometer readings.

Classic case of relax don't worry...

Back