Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
Does this look like an infection? It looks like mold might be floating on the top. This beer has been fermenting for two and a half weeks and was put in the fridge to cold crash on Sunday. Then last night I put it on the counter to settle out before bottling tonight.

PossibleInfection.jpg

Is it "hairy" like mold? It be yeast rafts that just haven't/won't sink. I had them on my last batch of beer. Everything was delicious.

Moving your carboy around can cause some trapped CO2 to release and cause some of the trub from the bottom to float to the top. Rack below the stuff, give it a taste and call it good.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's defiantly not hairy. It just looks like small round white mold like you might get in coffee if you leave it sitting for too long.

Looks like a normal fermentation to me. You'll get used to the 'looks' you'll get from yeast as you brew more.

Are you sure they are not extremely tiny bubbles? I had those once and thought it was mold, it wasn't.. Shine a flash light on it, it helps to see if they are in fact, tiny bubbles.

Are you sure they are not extremely tiny bubbles? I had those once and thought it was mold, it wasn't.. Shine a flash light on it, it helps to see if they are in fact, tiny bubbles.

You got it correct. When I went to bottle yesterday, what looked like mold spores were actually clumps of bubbles that eventually spread out and dissipated.

Back