Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgwild81

Reaction score
My red rye ale has been sitting in the primary for a week now. When I went to take a gravity reading this is what I saw. Never seen anything like it before. Is it an infection or is it ok?

image-611415654.jpg

Absolutely infected! Send to me for analysis and disposal. Har har just kidding

Looks perfectly fine. The spots are yeast, protein, and hops. They will eventually drop to the bottom. Give it two more weeks you'll see a big difference.

No it smells like beer. I hope it's ok. I haven't had to dump a batch yet...knock on wood. I guess I'll give a few more days before I cold crash and see what happens. It needs to drop a few gravity points anyway.

Looks like yeast and krausen residue to me. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine.

And if it's only been a week, don't rush it to the cold crashing stage. Make sure fermentation is done and the yeast have had some time to clean up after themselves. Personally, I'd wait at least another week before even contemplating doing anything. And I'd probably wait at least another 2 weeks before actually doing anything. What was the OG on this?

JLem said:
Looks like yeast and krausen residue to me. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine.

And if it's only been a week, don't rush it to the cold crashing stage. Make sure fermentation is done and the yeast have had some time to clean up after themselves. Personally, I'd wait at least another week before even contemplating doing anything. And I'd probably wait at least another 2 weeks before actually doing anything. What was the OG on this?

OG was 1.052 right now it's at 1.020. According to beersmith it should finish out at 1.012. Does it seem like the yeast may have stalled out? I'm still fairly new at this, but it seems to me the gravity should be lower than 1.020 by this point. Maybe I'm just worrying to much. Thanks for all they help.

OG was 1.052 right now it's at 1.020. According to beersmith it should finish out at 1.012. Does it seem like the yeast may have stalled out? I'm still fairly new at this, but it seems to me the gravity should be lower than 1.020 by this point. Maybe I'm just worrying to much. Thanks for all they help.

Since its only been a week, you are worrying too much. Give it more time. Like another 2 weeks. And then see where it is at.

Patience is definitely one virtue I've never possessed. I'm just gonna have to forget I have beer fermenting for the next couple of weeks. Thanks for putting my fears to rest guys!

D0ug said:
In the mean time you could always get another fermentor, and some malts, and... ;)

Placing an order right now. Gotta keep the pipeline full.

hawgwild81 said:
My red rye ale has been sitting in the primary for a week now. When I went to take a gravity reading this is what I saw. Never seen anything like it before. Is it an infection or is it ok?

I lmao when I saw this, those are floating hop pellet pieces that have swelled up, its normal, you should have seen the ipa I just racked, tons of those!, most sink but u still get the stubborn ones that float, no need for worry

Latest posts

Back