Infection (?) in tertiary...what do I do?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmmille

Reaction score
I racked a Scottish Pumpkin Ale to tertiary to clear and topped it off with a gallon of bottled water. I was careful in all my steps, but I didn't boil the water. Would bottled water start something? Whatever the cause, I am getting more fermentation, when I thought it was over. Started to get bubbles on the top and feared it was heading towards becoming more serious, so I racked it again this morning.

Now I'm wondering what to do? It still tastes good, but if I bottle it, is it going to rot or turn to vinegar or overcarb or what? Should I try to add another yeast to attempt to overpower whatever is going on? I really don't want to toss it, but I've never had to deal with this before. And I assume that it will continue after this racking, if I don't do something Recommendations?

DSC05861.jpg

DSC05862.jpg

No worries, you do not have a problem.

When you transferred the yeast got stirred back into suspension and started to ferment the beer again. What is you FG? Are you on target? No need to rack the beer again.

In general it is beneficial to let your yeast crank away for 3-5 weeks, depending on beer style. This gives the yeast plenty of time to clean up and get you a great beer.

Your pictures show a lovely beer,meet us know how it turns out.

Final note, adding unboiled water to your fermented(ing) beer is not an issue, as the yeast has had plenty of time to establish itself and is the dominate micro-organism in the wort. Especially at the tertiary stage,my our yeast should have been working for at least three weeks by now...

Sent from the window of an airplane...

Whew! Thanks for the reassuring advice!!! The last SG was around 1.02 ish, which is on target for this recipe. It has been about three weeks since brew day, but there's no rush, really. Drinkable by Halloween would be good, but not a do or die thing. Another week or so fermenting is not problem. Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Back