Infection i'm guessing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Session Belgian I planned to secondary on blueberry puree.
came in at 3-4% and I fermented it at around 70 ish degrees.
finished last week ( I thought) but couldn't get to it today and had nowhere cold to put it and it's been 90's regularly.
It smells sourish also.

IMG_2701.jpg

Yes. I'd toss it. HOWEVER, if you like sours, maybe let it rip. It will get more sour after you add fruit to it.

It's been a long time since I had an infected fermentation, but I can tell you that every single one that I had ended up being a dumper. Some people will say keep it and wait, but waiting on that kind of thing gave me anxiety. Not good.

I'd give it a taste before dumping. A slight sourness can be a welcome surprise. Keg it and just add some blueberry puree to the glass if you're in the mood for it.

I'd give it a taste before dumping. A slight sourness can be a welcome surprise. Keg it and just add some blueberry puree to the glass if you're in the mood for it.

I looked around the net because trying infected beer seems scary. :)
but it's looking like the start of a Lactobacillus pellicle.
maybe I will give it a try tomorrow.

I looked around the net because trying infected beer seems scary. :)
but it's looking like the start of a Lactobacillus pellicle.
maybe I will give it a try tomorrow.

Heh, maybe scary, but it won't hurt you. I've made lots of sours (too many really, got tired of them). Some nasty fermentations that'd give you pause, but they turned out pretty good. Look at this thread (which is full of intentionally-infected fermentations): Pellicle Photo Collection

If it's at 90F souring can progress pretty fast. Only keg, do not bottle.
It can be any bacteria or wild yeast, you can't tell from the pellicle.

From what I understand there's nothing, or not much, that can grow in beer that's dangerous to your health. The low pH, alcohol and hop content keep it safe.

If it's at 90F souring can progress pretty fast. Only keg, do not bottle.
It can be any bacteria or wild yeast, you can't tell from the pellicle.

From what I understand there's nothing, or not much, that can grow in beer that's dangerous to your health. The low pH, alcohol and hop content keep it safe.

ok. got it on not telling what it is.

It's been 90+ outside.
upper 70's in my basement. Probably warmer as I leave the bilco doors open during the day while doing work outside.
now I really want to give it a try.

It actually tastes pretty good.
I'm going to put it on the 4 lbs of frozen blueberries I pureed in the blender, then cold crash and keg.

FYI, it won't taste like blueberries. I made a few blueberry beers back in the day. Yes, you could taste "fruit", but it lost the actually blueberry character. I did a test where I gave it to several people to try, without giving them any hint of the ingredients, and none of them identified it as blueberries. Maybe they were drunk though :)

Anyway, that was my experience. I had very similar experience with kiwi.

FYI, it won't taste like blueberries. I made a few blueberry beers back in the day. Yes, you could taste "fruit", but it lost the actually blueberry character. I did a test where I gave it to several people to try, without giving them any hint of the ingredients, and none of them identified it as blueberries. Maybe they were drunk though :)

Anyway, that was my experience. I had very similar experience with kiwi.

Yep. learned that last time.
This time I have blueberry extract to add also.
I just want the color and aroma from the blue berries which does stick around.

Back