Infection?(I hate having to post this)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
I seriously hate having to ask this but after combing through various threads and pics, including the pellicle showoff thread, I am still nervous about this batch and I want to bottle in the next 24 hours.

Top almost looks lightly filmy and there is one opaque white bubble in the in the middle back of the pic. Cold crashed this for 48 hours already.

Facts: Sealed air tight in Vittle Vault for 30 days. 68F
FG is spot on. OG: 1.052, FG 1.011
US-05 Dry yeast.
Taste is crisp with fruity esters. 3rd batch of this beer and that is spot on for flavor. No sourness at all.
Floaters look exactly like dried yeast particles but I rehydrated before pitching.
I've never used anything other than Oxi-clean and water to clean so no scratches present and this is only the 3rd use of this fermenter.

The only different thing I did was drew a bigger batch so the krausen was touching the lid. (replacing this before next batch anyway)

I'm just worried about bottle bombs and the continued use of this fermenter. Is there a timeframe where I no longer need to worry a bottle bomb possibility? ie. after 3 weeks I'm in the clear.

Sorry to be a newb but I really appreciate any help. Pic is the best my phone could offer.

7a65dd81.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from that picture.

To me it looks like floating yeast/hops(did you use pellets?).

If the tase is good and the smell is good it should be ok.

I've only used plastic bottles so far and they are very hard to explode.

I did use pellets. And I have read numerous threads where people mention siphoning under any mold and leaving a little more in the fermenter. This is my plan now. Definitely not dumping.

Um, am I seeing a different picture, because that definitely looks like the early stages of a pellicle. I've never seen a 'healthy' beer look like that.

I'd say the krausen fell in the last 12-24 hours, that's why all the gunk still on top.You can tell by the rings around the fermenter, that it was particularly gloppy looking..

Tthat is extremely normal.I get that most of the time,using dry yeast.The filmy scummy stuff forming a layer of skin is what makes me wonder. White and looks just like a painted textured wall kind of film.
Thats like bits of spent yeast you have.I have it right now, i never worry about that stuff. Although i wonder if it is a little too much yeast.

I've had lots of batches with white filmy or powdery stuff on top. I tried to scoop it off but finally gave up. It is nothing to worry about. If the beer is infected, it will smell and taste bad. Sometimes that will fool you too because warm flat beer is pretty nasty and sometimes there are "off" flavors that go away as the beer ages and the yeast clean up.

Unless it is repugnant - keep moving ahead. You've spent your money so you've got little to lose.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/have-you-seen-your-fermenter-160360/
This thread describes exactly what mine did and the pic is fairly accurate although mine was not anywhere near this bad. As I racked everything moved to the sides of the fermenter and stuck there.

Bottled it last night so fingers crossed. It tastes great so hopefully not other issues. The wetter climate described in the above thread is definitely Oregon the last month.

As an aside I believe that if the above post is the same I experience than I think I know where it came from. I've been keeping my fermenters in water baths to keep the temp constant. After a month though I have noticed slime growing on the bath water and outer sides of the fermenter. It's possible that when checking gravity something air born could have gotten in. I'll post up a final in a few weeks to see how this ultimately plays out.

Back