Infected Starter? (Can't find the infected thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
I noticed this about a week ago. Pretty sure it's bad. Left it to see what happens. This is the second(step up) starter of some 3787 so it could have picked up a bug along the way. I think it's growing, but I'm not sure. Can only see well from below.
IMG_20171204_234720004.jpg
IMG_20171204_234638590.jpg
IMG_20171204_234628234.jpg

Whatcha think? Would be going in 10g of westvleteren 12 clone, so I don't want to risk it.

I find it hard to tell as I've never seen a infected started, personally I wouldn't risk it. The price of a new vial of yeast is much lower then the potential damage if indeed it does go south. Unless the more experienced people say otherwise I would dispose it sanitize the hell out of everything and start over.

The good news is I don't have to have it now. I brewed Sunday and was going to use a gyle to build up enough for 10-12g.
Gonna let it ride out a couple more weeks unless someone steps in. If it grows or tastes off, I'll start over for sure.
If u do, I'll probably get white labs shipped as I'm pretty confident in my starter process and I've read some less than stellar things in regards to wyeast as of late.

Update. No new growth or anything. The amount of stuff on the surface decreased a bit. I'll be harvesting and washing yeast later in the week and I'll taste it then

Latest posts

Back