Infected? Cant figure out why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theshoe82

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian Blonde about a month ago. Explosive fermentation using WLP 400, had a blowoff tube with ferm temps in low to mid 80s. It sat in the primary for a month before I moved it to the secondary. Its been 2 weeks. I went on vacation last week and came home to this.......

Could the high heat of my apt (85 degrees ambient temp) caused this? Is this surely infected? What is the brownish/blackish stuff?

Thanks for any/all help!

photo(1).jpg

Taste it, really doesn't look infected to me. I get layers similar to that in a lot of batches and assume it's yeast settling out so I have never given it much thought.

Actually looks quite delicious

That film on the side is what is left from your krausen, perfectly normal! The brownish/black stuff is what your beer will look like eventually; the yeast has settled/is settling out and will continue to do so!

Also, this is the go to "is my beer infected" thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

It's a great thread that shows you what an infection actually looks like! :fro:

That is normal. Over the next few days, the brown layer will get bigger, and the tan layer will get smaller. When the yeast settles out, you will have a carboy full of brown beer, with a nice tan yeast cake on the bottom. No need to worry at all. I have seen this exact same thing happen to a few batches I have brewed!

No I recognize that.. Definitely infected with WLP 400.

Seriously your beer is fine. The top is a combo of leftover Krausen and the beer clearing. Yeast in suspension tend to make the liquid look considerably paler than it is. As the yeast settle and clear you will see the entire beer darken to match the top. (as other posters pointed out). Relax you have lots of healthy yeast. They're just still hanging around.

No I recognize that.. Definitely infected with WLP 400.

Seriously your beer is fine. The top is a combo of leftover Krausen and the beer clearing. Yeast in suspension tend to make the liquid look considerably paler than it is. As the yeast settle and clear you will see the entire beer darken to match the top. (as other posters pointed out). Relax you have lots of healthy yeast. They're just still hanging around.

Phew! Thanks all for the advice and help everyone. I am very meticulous with my cleaning and sanitizing processes so I was racking my brain trying to figure out where I went wrong. Glad its normal and that everything is A-OK.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back