Induction tank fermenter problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryhav0c

Reaction score
I purchased one of those 15 gal conical induction tanks about 6 months ago and did a 10gal brew of some BM's centennial blonde, which I've become quite proficient at having brewed over 120 gallons of this fine nectar, and even though I'd rinsed my new fermenter and soaked it for over a week using RODI water my beer came out tasting like plastic.

Now I'm scared to use it again because I don't want to waste a day or 10 gallons of beer to find out if I still have a problem. I have several other fermenters, both stainless and plastic, but nothing this size and it would be great to be able to utilize it.

Anybody else had this issue and did you resolve it? Thanks for any input.

If I remember correctly people put them in the sun with oxyclean for a few days. There is a thread called super simple 15 gallon fermenter. Its long but has some solutions

Put it out in the sun empty with the lid off for a few hours. That will take the plastic smell out.

I ran into another issue. After I did the above, I screwed up and cleaned it with city water instead of my RO water and got a chlorine smell in it. I'm currently putting it back into the sun and gonna run more oxyclean through it....crap.

I was thinking about buying one of these induction tanks. Probably this one ( http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5813/15-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-fully-draining-infd15-19 ). I might go with a square cone bottom for putting a secondary valve part of the way up the cone to drain above the yeast and trub. a square bottom would be easier to put a nice seal on the valve....so I did a forum search and this thread popped up. What is ROID water and RO water? Sorry, I'm just starting out. I'm 3 batches to my belt but know I love this enough to start out by buying equipment that will last me for a while as far as upgrades are concerned

Latest posts

Back