Indianapolis - Best place for a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
Will be driving through the midwest next week and will stop in Indy for lunch / beer. We will only have a couple of hours to stop, what are suggestions for the best brewery / brewpub to go to??

Most of them are a little too "commercial" feeling for my taste(the ram, rock bottom) but if you are looking for a quaint little place broad ripple brewpub used to be a favorite of mine and a place I would make sure to stop in when I was there. I went back a couple years ago and the beer didn't seem the same but I would give it another try.

Many of the breweries in Indy seem to have taprooms only, so if you also want lunch the options are a little more limited. A new place opened downtown near Lucas Oil Stadium called Towyard Brewery. They serve sandwiches in addition to their own beers on tap. I went there a few weekends ago for the first time. Not a bad place to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not all but a lot of the breweries seem to be closed early in the week just FYI. Some of the breweries have food trucks come in. If your looking for a place to eat and a good beer you can't go wrong with 20 tap. Probably the best beer selection in town and some pretty good food.

You can find some good beer on Mass Ave or End of The Line in Ft. square... A lot of these bars have good local beer on tap and you can pick up some food as well.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405384542.168714.jpg

This was the tap list Sat @ End of the Line

Indianapolis is a very underrated craft beer town. For sheer quantity and variety, Twenty Tap can't be beat. They have a rotating tap list of 33 beers. The food is good too. The Tomlinson Tap Room is another good place downtown. If you go to Fountain Square, a combination of End of the Line Public House, La Margarita, New Day Meadery, and Fountain Square Brewing Company are all within a couple minutes walk of each other. If you are looking at getting growlers, my favorite breweries here in no particular order are Flat 12, Bier, and Scarlet Lane (which is in McCordsville, but might be on your way).

This is all about personal taste and I know that everyone has different opinions but the more microbreweries and brewpubs I go to the more homogenous the beers look to me. At first glance that appears to be a nice selection but in reality those are mostly lawnmower beers. I'm sure its because that's what sells but I for one can't wait till the California beer revolution comes our way. I yearn for the days when half the beers on tap are big beers.

This is all about personal taste and I know that everyone has different opinions but the more microbreweries and brewpubs I go to the more homogenous the beers look to me. At first glance that appears to be a nice selection but in reality those are mostly lawnmower beers. I'm sure its because that's what sells but I for one can't wait till the California beer revolution comes our way. I yearn for the days when half the beers on tap are big beers.

What beers are you referring to as lawnmower beers? Like you said, it's all about person preference. A tap list should be diversified with all types of beers, not just big beer, that is in my opinion. I'd rather have people coming into my brewery or bar and enjoying multiple pints keeping a level head instead of coming in and only having a few beers before they have to call it a night bc they are lit. Again, my opinion

Oh! And three wise men brewery/brewpub in broad ripple neighborhood was very enjoyable. They have cask conditioned ale gravity drawn and lots of variety of their own beer. I highly recommend.

If you are passing through and don't necessarily need to see downtown, I would suggest going around the northside and stopping at the Upland Tap Room in Carmel. Good food (try the Three Lil' Pigs sandwich) and great beer. They don't brew on site, but still worth the trip. They've got outdoor seating if the weather is nice for you.

You guys are torturing me - I'm going to be in Indianapolis next month for GenCon, but we're staying downtown right next to the Convention Center and won't be renting a car (we'll be walking everywhere). It seems like all the best beer places are a 2 hour walk to the north into suburbia. :( Any charitable locals want to take a homebrewing, beer-loving, Magic:The Gathering playing Canuck for a round or two at Twenty Tap sometime during Aug 13 - 17? :)

Back