Indian Pale Lager-ish. Or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thoughts

• Noble hops and regular US-hops? NO way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reinklou

Reaction score
I have recently been thinking of brew a quite standard German Pilsner, just 100% Pilsner malt, Saaz and Halleratuer Mittelfrauh as bittering and aroma around 15-20 minuter left, and then just dry hop it with a bit of Citra and Cascade, not to much, just to give it that nice, dry hoppy citrusy touch. And ferment it with something like S-189 or S-23 or something like that.

The reason to use the classic noble hops in the start is mainly to be able to brew a large batch of regular pilsner, and split it up since I'm not able to brew anything smaller than 120 gallons...

After searching A LOT, I haven't found anything near that. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

If you're going to split it I say go for it. It'll be interesting to compare the 2. I would dry hop near the end of lagering so you maintain as much aroma as possible.

I'd absolutely do it. However, I'd use 34/70 instead of S-23/S-189.

34/70 is VERY clean (i.e. little-to-no esters), and won't clash with the dry hops.

Back