Increasing Body on a Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted464

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Flanders Red that has been in the fermenter for about 8 months now (first yeast cake/pitch) and I plan on letting it go until April which will be a year. I checked it the other day and the sourness is nice, but the body is SUPER thin, like water. Is there anything I can do at this point to increase the body? I normally keg, but I plan on bottling my sour, and repitching on the cake. Should I brew a one gallon batch with a bunch of dextrine and add it to the fermenter or let it go? Any help will be appreciated.

If you add maltodextrin or blend a beer with more dextrins the bugs will slowly work on those, so if you bottle you might have bombs.

You could brew another beer with oats or something similar and blend that. Might have more luck posting this in the Lambic and Wild Brewing forum here.

Sours are suppose to be that way. The bugs essentially eat away and get you in the 1.005 ish range. Once carbonated you will get much better flavor, so i would stay the course, and mix and blend later on as previously stated.

Latest posts

Back