Incoming bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
So, I brewed a grapefruit juice pale ale 3 weeks ago. I pitched US-05 (dry) into 2.5 gallons of wort at about 75f (higher than normal but I was out of time). OG was around 1.050. The beer fermented between 70-72. Also, the juice was preservative free.

Yesterday I bottled it but I didn’t have enough for a hydrometer FG (I usually assume that 3 weeks is enough for complete fermentation and take readings at the end).

I work in a lab so I brought a sample in and used a refractometer and it was 1.023! However, this reading does include priming sugar which was 2.5 oz (I wanted high carb). I suppose I need to remember to take FG before adding corn sugar next time.

So, did I just blow up a case of beer? I’m at work but as soon as I get home the beer is going on a storage container.

Check up on reading gravity after fermentation with a refractometer. The reading needs to be corrected for the presence of alcohol.

It would appear that I can’t use my work refractometer as it only measures specific gravity and not Brix. I’ll just have to store the beer in a safe location and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help.

I plugged 1.023 into Brewer's Friend's SG to Brix converter and came up with 5.8 Brix. I then put that into the refractometer calculator and it came back with a gravity of 1.008 as a final gravity. You're probably safe.

Edit: I left the OG at the default 1.048 in the refractometer calculator, the correct FG should be about 1.007.

I always do 2 gallon batches w/about 1.75 at bottling. Why did you not have enough for a hydrometer reading? I always take one and pour the sample into the bottling bucket. Never had a problem doing that.
Not sure what you are brewing. How about a recipe?

I always do 2 gallon batches w/about 1.75 at bottling. Why did you not have enough for a hydrometer reading? I always take one and pour the sample into the bottling bucket. Never had a problem doing that.
Not sure what you are brewing. How about a recipe?

I usually take a sample at the very end of bottling which is a practice I need to change. I was really pushing for 24 12oz beers which didn’t leave enough for a reading.

Here’s the recipe:

Grapefruit Pale Ale (15 minute boil)

3 lbs Light DME
.5 lbs 40L crystal (steeped).

1 oz cascade 15 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo 0 min/flameout
.5 quart grapefruit juice during chill

Yeast: US-05

I usually take a sample at the very end of bottling which is a practice I need to change. I was really pushing for 24 12oz beers which didn’t leave enough for a reading.

Here’s the recipe:

Grapefruit Pale Ale (15 minute boil)

3 lbs Light DME
.5 lbs 40L crystal (steeped).

1 oz cascade 15 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo 0 min/flameout
.5 quart grapefruit juice during chill

Yeast: US-05
Next time take you sample as soon as you open the fermenter. Then after adding the sugar to the bottling bucket pour in the sample.

Drink the sample. It tells you a lot more about the beer than just the gravity reading.

Yes you can use a refractometer for FG measurements, but you need to use a calculator to estimate the actual FG. There are many calculators available online.

I just use a refractometer for mashing and figuring out my efficiency. I always use an hydrometer at bottling, and always drink the sample..

Drink the sample. It tells you a lot more about the beer than just the gravity reading.

Yes you can use a refractometer for FG measurements, but you need to use a calculator to estimate the actual FG. There are many calculators available online.

I just use a refractometer for mashing and figuring out my efficiency. I always use an hydrometer at bottling, and always drink the sample..

Tasting the uncarbonated beer is something I like to do too (mostly for the detection of off flavors). I thought the sample tasted fully fermented. More specifically, it wasn’t sweet in any way.

Hopefully my initial concern is unfounded and merely the result of a measurement error (lack of correction for alcohol).

When I was bottling, I always made it a habit to put the boxes of bottles in an area that would not be ruined if some bottles went off. I learned the hard way. I also used to put an old towel over the top of the boxes. Hope all goes well. /cheers

Latest posts

Back