in Primary.......for 7 mo...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Rock44

Reaction score
Just a thought about fresh beer and how long in the primary a typical IPA can last. Its been in the brew lab (avg. temp 68 deg F) and relatively undisturbed and covered from any sunlight, what litter there is. Also there's still water in the air lock so I'm thinking of just bottling it and see in a few weeks.

Any thoughts??

Might want to take a hydro reading now, and then another in 3 days, just to ensure it's done fermenting before you bottle.

Seriously though, I'd take a sample and taste it. If it seems worth it... hit it with new dry hops and bottle after a few days.

There is another thread around here, I am too lazy to find it, where someone had an IPA that he forgot about and it sat undisturbed in a fermenter for over a year, I believe. He said it tasted like straight anus.

yeah i saw that one....he found it sitting around and bottled in...it didnt carb because there was no yeast since it was over a year old and he never pitched new yeast..and it was sitting on a primary trub cake for over a year...but it was just flat and bland tasting is all....

That makes sense. I pulled the air lock and it still smells great. I think I will bottle anyway.. Stay tuned. I will pay more attention to make sure I put new threads in their appropriate topics

Ok, so 9 months for an IPA is nasty. I tried a sample and it was rancid. Tossed the whole batch and will do an all grain version - probably going to take care of it this time!!!!

Back