Importance of temp control after a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
My method of temp control involves opening and closing a window. But a warm front is moving into tomorrow and temps will get into the 70s but back into the 50s Sunday. I'm worried about my 2gallon batch that's a week into fermentation. I've heard about people upping temps towards the end of fermentation to encourage yeast to push though the last few points of gravity. Is there any negatives of doing this?

I also have a piney clone that's three weeks in. Will this be fine?

You certainly can start bringing up the temp after a week or so to "clean up" your beer but it's not necessary. There's certainly no harm in it at that point. Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much about the temp 2-3 weeks in.

It will be fine to be a bit higher temp after most of fermentation is done. You don't want to expose it to 50 degree temps at this point though, so keep the windows closed then. A big temp drop will make the yeast go dormant and its often challenging to get them back up and going.

I raise my temp once the krausen starts to fall. This can be as early as day 4, just depends on the beer. Doesnt harm it at all. Your off flavors from warm fermentation temps would arrise during the inital start of fermentation.

The open window fights the radiators so it won't get down to 50. Krausen is starting falling today so I'm glad a raise in temp won't be a problem. Also glad it's falling again cause I want to brew another California common Sunday before it gets to warm.

Latest posts

Back