Imperial Stout not done fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopforce

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial stout (extract) 7 weeks ago. My recipe calculator suggested a final gravity of 1.026 but it's stuck at 1.033. Do I pitch more yeast or is this ok?

I brewed an imperial stout (extract) 7 weeks ago. My recipe calculator suggested a final gravity of 1.026 but it's stuck at 1.033. Do I pitch more yeast or is this ok?

I'm no expert, but the smart folks around here are going to ask you your exact recipe, and OG just for starters. I had this EXACT issue; my stout stuck right at 1.033 as well, and it took a lot of work to nudge it down. After rousing and warming failed, and pitching another ale yeast smack pack, I wound up making a starter and re-pitching with some more aggressive yeast, and it finally came down enough to bottle.

Oh, and it's AWESOME. So don't worry!

Did you aerate? What yeast did you use? What recipe/kit was it?

Glad to hear yours worked out! I will post the recipe. I aerated it just by hand; splashing tossing it back and forth between the bucket and pot. I used California ale yeast (liquid) and I did make a starter for it. Og was 1.110

Back