Imperial Stout - help? Crit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Going to try to make an epic Imperial Stout soon, need some advice on the recipe! Been tweaking it for awhile.

Any help would be appreciated!

Iron Brigade
13-F Russian Imperial Stout
Author: Max Spang

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 393.34 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.116 (1.075 - 1.115)
Terminal Gravity: 1.029 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 35.75 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 11.67% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 65.5 (50.0 - 90.0)

Ingredients:
17.0 lb Pale Ale Malt
.5 lb Victory® Malt
1 lb American Chocolate Malt
1.5 lb Special B Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Oats Flaked
.5 lb Barley Flaked
0.5 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
1.0 lb Rice Hulls
0.25 lb Molasses
0.75 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale
3.0 ea Vanilla (whole bean) - added dry to secondary fermenter
3.0 oz Oak Wood Chips - added dry to secondary fermenter

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Cut Vanilla aged in Vodka
American Oak Cubes aged in Bourbon for months

If it were me, I would reduce or remove the crystal, and increase the roasted barley by a pound. In most of my stouts I also throw in a pound or two of flaked oats, and/or flaked barley.
Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm sure you'll end up with something great.

I can't help but wonder, why the rice hulls?

Phantastik said:
If it were me, I would reduce or remove the crystal, and increase the roasted barley by a pound. In most of my stouts I also throw in a pound or two of flaked oats, and/or flaked barley.
Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm sure you'll end up with something great.

I can't help but wonder, why the rice hulls?

Woops! I meant to only put in a pound of rice hulls, not two. Using them as a filter for the mash tun. I've never used flaked barley, but I've had decent results in flaked oats, thats not a bad idea.

Just curious, why would you ditch the crystal?

It's just a personal preference on flavors. I should have said in my previous post that I can't/shouldn't comment on what would fit perfectly into the RIS category, only share an opinion on your recipe based on big stouts I have made and enjoyed.

Edit: To be more specific, I just don't think it's needed. I prefer the roasted, and chocolate flavors to be the highlight. Naturally, I'm sure there others who would disagree.

I guess I'm trying to get a little of a sweet caramel flavor in there, but actually now that I think about it there's going to be lots of other sweetness left in the beer (plus some vanilla) so I don't really think it's necessary. I might leave in a little of the 60l for a bit of complexity but I'll take out the 120.

I'm going to adjust some of the malt bull and add in some Special B, Cara-Pils, and a little bit of flaked oats and flaked barley.

I'm at work right now and don't have access to my recipe, but I'll update it and post it soon.

Alright check out the first post for the updated recipe! Let me know how it's looking so far

(100th post!)

Why do you have rice hulls at all?

Using them as a filter for the mash tun.

Since it's such a high amount of grain, I'm putting in the rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash and to make it flow a bit smoother out of the lauter tun. They provide no flavor or body, they are merely used as a filter. I'm pretty new to AG so I don't want to take any chances.

Hate to do it, but bump.

I wanna get on this soon, any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!

Back