Imperial Rye PA - BJCP Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun with a sticky mash using 40% Rye Malt, to make an Imperial Rye IPA. I'm pretty excited about this beer and want to enter it to a couple of competitions - but under what category?

I was thinking 14-C: Imperial IPA. But in the actual BJCP guildelines when reading about German Rye Beer, it states that if a beer uses enough Rye to be noticeable and is not an American Rye Beer (6-D) or a Roggenbier (15-D) then it should be categorized as a Specialty Beer (23).

Any thoughts from anyone with training on the BJCP guidelines?

I have limited experience, but BJCP guidlines list rye IPA as a style belonging in the specialty category (23). My guess is with an imperial IPA with that much rye you'd want to stick with 23.

Hmm, upon reading that I think you're right. I just wasn't sure if this could be classified as an Imperial IPA. Poor Rye, not getting its due. They do list Rye IPA as a "minor world beer style". Maybe the Imperial Rye IPA should be a sub-category to that minor, unrecognized style.

Back