Imperial Red Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChzyMnky

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to do an Imperial Red, with a good balance of maltiness and hoppiness. I haven't used Falconers in a long time, but I was thinking it's be a good hop for this. Not sure if the mix of Maris Otter and Biscuit will be TOO malty... Take a look at my recipe and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Type: All Grain
Efficiency: 75%
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 9.14 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 7.81 gal
OG: 1.083
IBU: 75.3
SRM: 15
Mash: 152°F

Malt
14 lbs Maris Otter (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) 76.5 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 5.5 %
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 2.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 2.7 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 2.7 %
5.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 1.7 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) 8.2 %

Hops
1.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 38.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 23.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 8.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Yeast
WLP001, 65°F with ramp to 70°F after three days

A lot of biscuit and amber. Similar in nature far as I am concerned. We are comparing tastes when we offer suggestions, so mine are based on liking malty, but the biscuity flavor needs to be held in check a little. Again - may be where we differ. in preference
First - may want to drop the amber. the biscuit and MO should be enough.

Second - At your mash temps and the depth of the grain bill, it seems that the carapils might not be needed either.

For me, I would drop carapils and the amber and, if you want maltiness to play a bigger roll, put in .75 lb munich

Your BU/GU ratio is about 1.106
WLP001 usually attenuates well (has for me, anyway). My beers usually end up anywhere from .4 to .5 and depending on mineral treatment, can be slightly malty to balanced as I put slightly more chlorides than sulfate.

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking to drop the amber, Crystal, and carapils, and reduce the buscuit to 8oz. Then add 8oz each of Munich and Melanoidin. You guys think that would still be too malty?

The BU/GU ratio is a new concept for me, thanks for introducing me to it. Basically, I was making a red IPA instead of a red ale... I'll cut back on the hops to around 40~50 ibu, that should put me more in the ball park.

Thanks!

I thought the crystal was fine. 60L is a great choice to me anyway. Just a little biscuity and the the carapils was a little gratuitous.

Sub out the amber with Melanioden and (I like hops A LOT) leave the IBU the same. as long as the IBUs are under the OG, that is fine. You have a malty grain bill and the hops will be supported. 50 IBU's for an IPA in the 9% range is light

I thought the crystal was fine. 60L is a great choice to me anyway. Just a little biscuity and the the carapils was a little gratuitous.

Sub out the amber with Melanioden and (I like hops A LOT) leave the IBU the same. as long as the IBUs are under the OG, that is fine. You have a malty grain bill and the hops will be supported. 50 IBU's for an IPA in the 9% range is light

ProblemChild is 100% spot on IMHO. Consider maybe a little more FWH to boost the IBUs but that’s it.

Show us pictures in a few weeks! Bet that this will be a gorgeous-looking (and tasting) brew. Malt bombs are a great way to shake off the last couple months of winter.

He's right.
If you're building an IPA your bittering to gravity SHOULD be higher than a lower ABV brew. The BU/GU is relative to the style you're making. There's a chart somewhere that shows a range some styles will fit into, but it's more or less for simple reference. No one says your brew has to conform, especially if you like hops.
**Edit** HA I found it. madalchemist.com

Last edited:
relchrt.jpg

Here's a visual. Click on the thumbnail pic. Imperial IPA range is the very top one.

It isn't the greatest as I'm having an issue with posting graphics -newish PC and OS, just getting used to garbage WIN10.

Thanks again guys. I'm actually NOT trying to build an IPA. I'm brewing this with some guys from work, and they wanted an "Imperial Red Ale" that isn't too hoppy (one guy doesn't like hoppy beers). Otherwise, I'd leave the hops where they're at...

SO, try number two. I deleted the Carapils, subbed the amber for Melanoiden, and dropped the biscuit to 8oz. Also, I dropped the IBUs to 39, to give me a BU/GU of 0.49. I figured it'd be close to an 80 Shilling or Irish Red. Look good? Too much base malt, not enough specialty?

Type: All Grain
Efficiency: 75%
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 9.14 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 7.81 gal
OG: 1.079
IBU: 39
SRM: 14.3
Mash: 152°F

Malt
14 lbs Maris Otter (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) 80.9 %
8.0 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 2.9 %
5.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 1.8 %
1.5 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) 8.7 %

Hops
0.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 13.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [11.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs

Yeast
WLP001, 65°F with ramp to 70°F after three days

If not an IPA, then it seems like everything is in order. It looks great.

Should attenuate well, have a good color and I do not see any clashes. Never used Falconer's Flight. Flavor suggests to me that the bittering could use a little Simcoe instead of Magnum, but the grain bill is one I am already scaling for my kit. I like the malty and dry approach.

I like how you are brewing to the group instead of locking in on a particular style - its your brew. Brew what YOU want.

Back