Imperial Pint Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
Just got some glasses with British crown markings.

Question on the markings:

They have the phrase "1 GRAD" under the crown. Does anyone know what "1 GRAD" means?

Thanks!

There shoild also be a 3 or 4 digit number near the crown and an etched line.

The number indicates the official agency that checked the glass and verified that when filled to the line "GRAD" it contained the proper amount of liquid. Usually 1/3 - 1/2 and 1 pint marks.

bosco

It does have the number. It is 3 digits "404". I was able to find that part on the Internet.

GRAD is the part i still don't understand. The glass does have a half pint line. So the "1 GRAD" phrase has to do with that half pine line.

I am still curious though. Is GRAD an abbreviation for a longer phrase or a term common in the UK?

The only thing I can think of is 1 grade. Like a passing grade. Just a wild guess though.

MichaelBrock, I think you are onto something. I'll go with that.

Boscobeans, thanks for the Leicester City info and all the other info.

Love these pint glasses - you guys know where to get them in large quantities? Particularly the 1/2 pint ones w/ those etchings? I'm fairly good with teh Google, but I've been stumped here.

Anyway, cool glasses mang!

Back