Imperial peppermint chocolate stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane-O-Matic

Reaction score
New to building my own recipes. Any thoughts or advice on this one? I'm definately a novice here. I'm looking for a Chocolate Stout, High ABV :rockin:, with a peppermint zing in the back of the throat:

Target OG: 1.103
Target FG: 1.030
Target ABV: 9.5%
5.5 Gallon Batch (Extract)
60 minute boil

Fermentables:
- 2.5 lbs Dark LME
- 2 lbs Pilsen DME
- 7 LBS Extra Light DME
- .75 lbs Lactose Sugar (add at 10 mins)

Steeping Grains:
- 2 lbs Flaked Oats
- .5 lbs American Black Malt
- .5 lbs American Dark Chocolate Malt
- 3 lbs American Pale 2-Row Roasted

Hops
- 2 oz Goldings at 60 mins
- 2 oz Northern Brewer at 20 minutes
- .75 oz Willamette at 5 minutes

Extras
- 2 peppermint altoids - 20 minutes
- 2 peppermint altoids - 5 minutes
- 1 cup cocoa powder - 20 minutes
- 1 bushel of fresh mint (steeped in 1 cup vodka) during secondary fermentation.
- Peppermint Extract only if needed, to taste, at time of bottling.

I always like the idea of peppermint or spearmint in a stout but I've never actually had a good one in person. If you enjoy it, great though!

I have a new one in primary right now that is a Raspberry Chocolate Mint Stout. It should hit in the 9% range. I have never seen altoids used before. In the past I used fresh mint and had bad results. This time around I used pure peppermint tea bags (peppermint only) in the boil for last ten minutes. Your cup of cocoa might be enough, I can't tell. I used 6 oz. in mine and you can tell the chocolate is there but it is not a huge in your face type of flavor.

Thanks for the input, guys. So I changed the recipe a little bit based on my wallet and availability at the homebrew store. I also decided to try a mini mash and enjoyed it so much that I ordered some gear to step up to AG brewing with my next batch. Brewed night was Wednesday, 8/10.

Target OG: 1.093
Target FG: 1.024
Target ABV: 9%

Mini Mash:
4 oz American Black Malt
8 oz flaked oats
8 oz American Chocolate
3 Lbs American Pale 2-Row (toasted at 350 for 30 minutes and cracked)
4 oz American Roasted Barley
6 oz American Crystal 80L

Fermentables:
10.8 Lbs Extra Light DME

Hops:
1.75 Norther Brewer @ 60 minutes
1.25 Willamette @ 20 minutes
.5 oz EKG @ 5 minutes

Extras:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder @ 60 minutes
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder @ 20 minutes
1 oz Dried peppermint leaves @ 20 minutes
1 oz dried peppermint leaves @ 5 minutes

Yeast:
Pitched 1 pouch of Wyeast British Ale II

The OG hydrometer sample had a LOT of cocoa flavor (maybe too much, we'll see) and what I think will be a good balance of mint zing.

Fermentation took off like a son of a gun this morning (making a sticky mess out of my fermenter and brew bench).

I'll keep this updated as this comes along. I have high hopes for this one as a winter after dinner beer by the fireplace.... fingers crossed.

Cheers :mug:

Sooo... this was a gigantic flop. I had a blowout during ferm, tried to set everything straight, but at some point things got really infected. I bottled anyway in hopes it would work itself out and be drinkable but I wouldn't have given it to my worst enemy. I'm either going to dump it in the woods behind the house or pour some into a bucket and bring to my buddy to run through his still for giggles.

Been brewing just ab out every weekend and having some success with all grain. In the ferm now is a Dunkelweizen. On deck to brew this weekend is a spiced Dark Saison.

Dang, sorry to hear that. Its always disappointing when one dosen't taste good/turn out. Let me know if you give it another shot.

Back