Imperial or Double

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my count it is two letters longer to spell Imperial :drunk:

Same thing one just sounds more impressive.

Then the next question is . . . Do I make the Midwest Hophead Double IPA . . . Or Northern Brewer 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA?

i've read crap along the lines that DIPA emphasizes extra hops, while imperial emphasizes the additional alcohol... but it's just that - crap. they're the same thing.

I always thought of them as different ways of saying the same thing. That is, the "double" was in reference to the two "I"s in an abbreviated Imperial India Pale Ale (IIPA). In other words: (2xI)PA, not 2x(IPA).

According to the BJCP guidelines, they are one style with the prefix being pretty much arbitrary.

I always thought of them as different ways of saying the same thing. That is, the "double" was in reference to the two "I"s in an abbreviated Imperial India Pale Ale (IIPA). In other words: (2xI)PA, not 2x(IPA).

According to the BJCP guidelines, they are one style with the prefix being pretty much arbitrary.

Same thing with Russian Imperial Stout and Imperial Stout, one just lends a more regal impression.

I think in some ways this may trick the less informed drinker into thinking that one has something more than the other. Might be a neat psychological experiment to run...same beer, two glasses, first presented as an RIS the second presented as an IS. You could do the same with a Dbl IPA and an Imperial IPA. Would be interesting to document the results.

Latest posts

Back