Immersion or Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
I have an immersion chiller that works great for me. But I have a chance to get a 30 plate chiller for $50. Is it worth the investment, or should I stick with my immersion chiller?

In these days of hugely hoppy beers, I'd be terrified of using a plate chiller. I don't think I could be thorough enough at keeping them out of it.

If your batch size is 15G or less then a Jaded Hydra is the way to go.

A plate is a little faster until you consider clean-up time and unclogging exercises. In the end not worth it.

I haven't used a plate chiller but I have a homemade IC and homemade CFC. I consider the CFC similar to a plate in the way it works. I hated not seeing how clean it was. I went back to the IC. Mine isn't nearly as good as Jaded ones and I'm still happy with it. Maybe 5 minutes longer than my CFC.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the IC.

I have both. The speed of the plate chiller for large batches is really nice, but I like the simplicity of the immersion chiller. Not having to bag hops is nice.

I've had both and used them with good effect. In my current system I have a plate chiller. Not only does the plate chiller allow me to cool quickly, but also to cool then whirlpool, while having the BK lid securely on.

I Brew alot of hop forward beers. When I do, I use a large hop spider(400). If it's a lighter hopped beer I'll skip the spider. I do whirlpool, so that helps hop matter accumulate in the middle of the boil kettle, away from the pick up tube.

Switching to a plate chiller had me worried at first, but I haven't had a plugged chiller once. Bottom line, I like mine alot.

I don't think there's a right or wrong choice here. Whatever fits into you and your brew rib is good.

I switched to an IC but kept my plate chiller just to do water chilling. Even a dozen uses later it's still flushing out hops particles and that's only with water running through it now.

Here comes an unconventional issue of plate chillers and other reverse flow chillers.
Using the reverse chiller without hop spiders or filters, you might get higher than expected IBU.
The wort to be chilled remains at over 200F temperature, so if the hops is not removed, isomerization will keep going.
If you can chill the whole wort in 5 to 10 minutes, the additional IBU should be minor.
For bitter hops, I bet you can't feel the difference. However, if high alpha hops, like citra or mosaic, is used as aroma hops, you might need to consider the extra time.

Another issue of plate chiller that Gordon Strong mentions in his book is that the cold break will go into your fermenter if the chilled wort goes directly to your fermenter.

Here comes an unconventional issue of plate chillers and other reverse flow chillers.
Using the reverse chiller without hop spiders or filters, you might get higher than expected IBU.
The wort to be chilled remains at over 200F temperature, so if the hops is not removed, isomerization will keep going.
If you can chill the whole wort in 5 to 10 minutes, the additional IBU should be minor.
For bitter hops, I bet you can't feel the difference. However, if high alpha hops, like citra or mosaic, is used as aroma hops, you might need to consider the extra time.

Another issue of plate chiller that Gordon Strong mentions in his book is that the cold break will go into your fermenter if the chilled wort goes directly to your fermenter.

All of this assumes you do not recirculate....

Latest posts

Back