Immersion heater kettle attachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Any idea how to make a cheap attachment for this immersion heater so the plastic part wont slip into it or touch the kettle?

It's about 2-3 inch shorter than my kettle so it wont touch the bottom.

F0MTa.jpg

The element is unheated near the plastic plug, so you could either clamp a hook to that part with a (stainless) hose clamp or two, or form a hook out of stiff wire to hang it on the side of the kettle.

It's probably not the best idea to hang the element off of the cord (it's probably fine, but generally things aren't designed to be suspended by their power cords).

I used a small piece of wire hanger and lashed it to the handle of the pot.

this system lasted only 3 brews until it shorted out and scared the **** out of me. I have now thrown it in the garbage and invested in a proper RIMS tube so i don't get electrocuted.

:mug:

It doesn't look like that element is grounded, so grounding the kettle or the heater and using a gfci might be a good idea.
Also, I know from experience that even though the handle i molded, it is far from water proof. Moisture can quite easily creep in (even from steam) and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened to @DarkStarNJ .
Lastly, heating elements usually bend pretty easily, so I'd suggest carefully bending it to a hook near the handle. That way you can just hang it off the kettle wall, and steam will not reach the handle.

Latest posts

Back