I'm torn... How to start again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclogenesis

Reaction score
Ok here's the wrap: I was a full grain brewer back in Canberra, Australia.. even won some awards at my local brew club... much fun... Moving into a smaller place and some "issues" meant I had to give it away for a while sold all my kit...

Ready to get back into it now but I am torn how to begin again... Do I buy a extract kit and a kettle and start there, do I slowly buy bits and build up?

Was easy the first time as I stared with a "coopers" kit and was not to fussy.. Now I expect a lot more from my Beer... I'm also a lot more picky (ie spoilt) about my kit too :)

Any recommended deals on equipment? I've seen a few that sell kettles included...

If you already have experience with AG (probably BIAB, since you are an Aussie?), no reason to go backwards. Just get the same equipment you had before. You should know enough to put together a rig piece-by-piece and save some money over getting a pre-assembled set.

If you just want the convenience of a pre-assembled set, go for a Northern Brewer starter kit, a stem thermometer, and a 11 gallon BIAB kettle. Total price is about $180-190 shipped.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/general/temperature/analog/pt2008g220.htm#0003874?ref=gbase

http://www.electronicsshowplace.com/stockpot-p-242526.html

I had a similar experience. I chose to start slowly again with extract batches. I was pretty immersed in the hobby and can remember becoming frustrated with not being able to dedicate enough time to it due to family responsibilities. I sold everything while going through a divorce. I'll get back to AG batches when the time is right.For me starting back slowly was a way to take " baby steps " and enjoy every minute of it.

Hmm some good kits there! And yes... I should pay a closer eye to craigslist... do you get much spam/fraud there?

Hmm some good kits there! And yes... I should pay a closer eye to craigslist... do you get much spam/fraud there?

not if you're smart. Shop local and buy with cash after you have seen the item in person.

If you are a previous AG brewer, then I really suggest you start with at least a BIAB system, since it's cheap and you should be able to jump right in.

In fact, I think most anyone could start doing AG with only a few extract batches if they wanted.

Northern brewer has their deluxe starter kit 40% off through august 20. That will get you some of the essentials.

Also, download the craigsnotification app if you have a smartphone. It will crawl craigslist every few minutes for key words you define. I have a search for "beer" and "brew" running all the time for me.

I scored three 5 gallon cornies for $30 a couple weeks ago! :mug:

heckels said:
Northern brewer has their deluxe starter kit 40% off through august 20. That will get you some of the essentials.

Also, download the craigsnotification app if you have a smartphone. It will crawl craigslist every few minutes for key words you define. I have a search for "beer" and "brew" running all the time for me.

I scored three 5 gallon cornies for $30 a couple weeks ago! :mug:

Thanks... Will do

How funny Im about to move to Canberra from Hawaii I will have to hit you up for brew club/lhbs once I get there.

Clem

Where in Chicago are you? Maybe you could hook up with someone that has an AG rig and will let you brew with them (especially if they can do 10 gal. batches). You could just pay / buy your grain and yeast and a fermenter or two and get started that way. Just a thought.

Buy a turkey fryer, a chiller, and a bucket or 2. Do a search for Brew-In-A-Bag (BIAB). That and a couple other small misc. items should be all you need to get started.

Back