I'm probably going to catch some flak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AerationStation

Reaction score
But I tried Orval and Rochefort 10 for the first time last night and I was underimpressed with both.

The Orval seemed to be kind of a banana bomb, which I like when its restrained but damn there was alot. The flavor was complex and I did like the sour character it had but found it to be ridiculously astringent in the aftertaste. It had some oxidative character to it so it could have been a bad bottle but I had trouble finishing it.

The Rochefort 10 seemed to be an alcohol bomb. I know it's 11.5% but people talk about it like there is only a gentle alcohol warming in the back. I liked the dark fruit, plum, raisin flavors but got a really sharp phenolic flavor that again made the beer hard to finish.

Maybe I expected too much from both beers but the way people talk about them I would thought is be more impressed.

I fully admit that the bottles I got could have been mistreated which would cause these beers to be harsh. Maybe my palate is just inexperienced to these flavors but am I the only one who wasn't crazy about these seemingly legendary beers? Is it an aquired taste thing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Nope. You're not alone.

I really don't like sours. I dislike sour things in general. That's one of the reasons I don't drink much wine.

I do like British beers, though.

That's one of the wonderful things about beer! There's a beer for everyone!

Well, almost everyone. I have two first place finishes for my Scottish Ale and for my Porter, but I have yet to brew a beer that my wife will drink.:(

Nope. You're not alone.

I really don't like sours. I dislike sour things in general. That's one of the reasons I don't drink much wine.

Well, almost everyone. I have two first place finishes for my Scottish Ale and for my Porter, but I have yet to brew a beer that my wife will drink.:(

I HATE beer, all beer. Apart from milk stouts, which I love. Have you tried one of them on her? Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

After my first gulp of Rochefort I immediately knew it was all hype. You're a true beer connoisseur if you score Rochefort high and so it perpetuates. My opinion of course, but there are so many beers that stand above that beer that I can only believe its hype is what makes it legendary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After my first gulp of Rochefort I immediately knew it was all hype. You're a true beer connoisseur if you score Rochefort high and so it perpetuates. My opinion of course, but there are so many beers that stand above that beer that I can only believe its hype is what makes it legendary.

As you said, it is your opinion. The "score" that Rochefort receives is based on its relation to the style. Rochefort 10 is a Belgian Quad, which is considered a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in BJCP terms. Actually, it is cited in BJCP as a commercial example of the style, so that people can use it as a standard to base their opinions on. You can see why it might have the advantage when it is scored.

So maybe the beer is not actually as bad as you say it is, but that the style just is not right for you.

I can whole heartedly agree with that, you're probably right sir.

I must note however I never said it was bad, just not as good as it's hyped.

As you said, it is your opinion. The "score" that Rochefort receives is based on its relation to the style. Rochefort 10 is a Belgian Quad, which is considered a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in BJCP terms. Actually, it is cited in BJCP as a commercial example of the style, so that people can use it as a standard to base their opinions on. You can see why it might have the advantage when it is scored.

So maybe the beer is not actually as bad as you say it is, but that the style just is not right for you.

I will back this up 100%. maybe even a hunnid fiddy.

personally, I enjoy the floccin' hell out of both of those beers. and I did not acquire a taste for them, I've always enjoyed them.

I love me some Orval,but I also find the Rochefort 10 kind of hard to drink for the booze. I do think the 8 is fantastic though, maybe try that. It's still high alcohol, but it's a little more restrained

It is my safety net. Whenever I try new beers, I always take a Rock10 just in case all else fails.

Nope. You're not alone.

Uh, if the wine you drink is sour, you're probably doing it wrong. ;)

Just to make sure I'm covering my bases, do you guys pour the dregs in to the beer as well? Most of these belgians are bottle conditioned so there is almost always a nice slug on the bottom, which, to me, tends to add some extra bitterness/astringency to the beer.

Back