Im pretty sure i got a DMS problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Hi! my first batches all had one thing in common, thay taste horrible. Somehow i missed the part of NOT having a lid on when boiling the wort.. Right now I have 2 brews fermenting... Is there a way to get rid of some of that horrible smell/taste? Will there be less with time or more? should i cover the taste with dry hopping? Can I do anything at all or just live with it and brew new beer...?

Let it sit and brew more. Im not an advocate for age fixes all but ive seen bad beer get better over time. Chalk it up to the do not do list wich will grow long over time. As for fixing it fiddling with it might make it worse. try the dry hop if you want then id leave it be after that.

DMS is supposed to smell and taste like creamed corn. Is that what you have? Dry hopping may help some.
I boil with the lid partially off the kettle for steam to escape. Need to apply less heat to the kettle to keep a rolling boil this way. I wipe the condensate, which may contain the precursors to DMS, from the underside of the lid periodically.

Back