I'm going to play with some super yeast. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
I ordered some of White Labs super yeast. That stuff that can ferment up to 25% ABV, supposedly.

My plan is to brew a big big big beer with it. Or something like beer using beer ingredients.

My constraint will be that I will be bottling this stuff. Naturally, I'll need it to carbonate naturally.

I have on hand about 5 lbs of hops. Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centenial, and Willamette. I have Lots of base malt, specialty grains, honey, corn sugar, and about 6lbs DME as well. I can easily invert sugar to make Belgium candy syrups as well. The options are mostly limitless.

Now, what would taste good?

Ok, I'm thinking about doing something along the lines of this.

I'll start with a wort around 1.120 shoot the oxygen, yeast nutrient, etc...typical preparations for a high gravity brew. I'll only start with 4 gallons in the fermenter. Over the course of the fermentation I'll use my DME to gradually add an additional 2 gallons of wort with fermaid included to the existing wort to keep these things well fed. Once I determine the ABV level is in the 17-18% range I'll simply be satisfied and watch closely for the gravity drop to level off. Once I seems it has, I'll bottle and put away for 6 months.

I'm thinking of shooting for a hop profile similar to SN Bigfoot, only bigger.

120 min boil:
120 - 3 oz Chinook
90 - 2 oz Centenial
60 - 1 oz Chinook, 2 oz Centenial
30 - 2 oz Cascade, 1 oz Centenial
5 - 2oz each of Chinook, Centenial, Cascade

We used that yeast about a month ago for our super beer. We let it ferment in a primary for three weeks. O.g. Was 1.116 and we just put it in a glass carboy this week with a s.g. Of 1.028. It seems rousing the yeast up triggered a bit more fermentation in the secondary. We will let it sit for 4-5 months before sampling and moving forward.
Happy Brewing

We used that yeast about a month ago for our super beer. We let it ferment in a primary for three weeks. O.g. Was 1.116 and we just put it in a glass carboy this week with a s.g. Of 1.028. It seems rousing the yeast up triggered a bit more fermentation in the secondary. We will let it sit for 4-5 months before sampling and moving forward.
Happy Brewing

I'm planning on pushing the time-line a little faster on this. I don't have the equipment to keg so I'm shooting for getting a large primary fermentation done in a relatively short period of time and allowing the aging to occure in the bottles.

It's an experiement. It might end well, it might not. Knowing what it takes to push this yeast over the 20% ABV mark is sort of my limiting factor. I'm shooting for 17-18% ABV going into the bottle so that I can have a modest amount of confidence it will carbonate instead of stall. It could stall anyways. But I think I have a better chance of success if I stop at around 17-18% ABV.

Latest posts

Back