I'm fixin' a hole...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
I have a new keggle and I'd like to drill two thermometer holes for different size boils. Is there an easily found plug that doesn't have to be ordered? I have a Bilchmann brewmomter if that matters. Does the material matter? Thanks!

Two questions:

First, why do you need a thermometer on your boil kettle? Water always boils at the same temperature (for a given altitude/pressure).

Second, why would you ever need to move said thermometer from the lower of the two positions?

Great points, however I am using it to heat strike water as well, prior to the boil. I wanted it to be versatile. ( and I am broke)

Also, I'd like to keep the thermometer out of the way of heat if I can, so on bigger boils I can use the upper hole. I know it's convoluted, but bear with me.

You'll have a heat issue when it's mounted lower anyway so I'd just put it low and use a heat shield. I understand that liquid boils at 212F but what about people who chill with an IC? I also like a thermo on my boil kettle to see when I'm hitting about 210F from a distance. That's the point where you start watching for a boil over.

Back