I'm A Kegger.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenSpyder

Reaction score
I just have to boast........

I finally turned that garage 'fridge into a kegerator today. I bought two corneys, CO2 bottle, regulator, and all the hoses and fittings. After stripping the inside, I was able to fit two 5 gallon corneys (just barely) and the CO2 bottle inside. I'm currently using picnic valves to dispense, but I'm looking into making my own twin tap tower. I still need my conicals to finish up, and looking forward to my first kegged batch. I'm testing to see how low it'll keep temps, so far....31F and dropping.

It's such an easy, basic, simple, (expensive), setup, I wish I had done this years ago.

I love kegging! I started kegging about 6 months ago. I'm still using picnic taps too. I noticed that my brewing has increased since then, because all my friends think it's great that I always have a couple of homebrews on tap. :mug:

Yeah, it definitely beats bottling to me. I just need another fridge or freezer now...

Over this past weekend, I set up an older side by side my dad gave me. Two faucets in the fridge door and the co2 tank outside. Very easy to do, the hardest part was cleaning the fridge, those things get pretty nasty under the crisper drawers and stuff! It's about the same level of excitement as when I first started brewing! Now I just have to start making good beer...

Just started kegging myself - such an awesome difference! I'm using picnic taps, likely will keep doing so. It's not much of a hassle and the lines stay cold in the fridge.

Congrats!

I recently joined myself. Built a 3 tap coffin top keezer and loving it!

You might want to think about adding temp control. An STC-1000 is cheap ($15-$18) and they work great.

Welcome to the club!

:mug:

I got a Mini fridge on craigslist for 50 bucks two years ago. Bought a tower and and installed it. Total cost of less than 100 bucks. The co2 bottle is a bit costly new but refills at LHBS is 25 bucks. You really can't beat pulling a Glass of homebrew whenever you feel like it. Although it's tooo easy sometimes......Cheers!

Congrats! Ive kegged from the get go, but my brother already had a kegerator. I invested shortly after. Got 2 taps in my kegerator and serve my third keg from a picnic tap.... Looking to add two more taps (one as a dedicated sour tap). Makes life so much easier.

Congrats! I didn't mind bottling that much, but having homebrew on tap in the garage is just pure luxury.

I'm currently using picnic valves to dispense, but I'm looking into making my own twin tap tower.

I used to use picnic taps on my kegs as well, until the day I closed the door on a tap valve and didn't notice until the next morning, when my garage floor was covered in IPA. My advice is to remove the taps from the kegs when you're not using them.

I'm in the same boat, just started about a month and a half ago. I still smile when I walk into the garage and see that kegerator sitting there. I planned on using picnic taps for a while but once I put my first full keg in I couldn't help myself and went all out with perlick faucets. Definitely the best upgrade so far.

The problem I have with kegging is its so easy to pull the tap the dam neighbors wont leave it alone so my pipeline runs out!! need 2 brew days in a row to catch up twice a month

Kegs are great when you get set up--Now go buy 12 oz. beer glasses & put up a donation can-don't wait to long or the neighbors won't take you serious--
I can't keep my line flowing if I don't brew twice a week--

Kegs are great when you get set up--Now go buy 12 oz. beer glasses & put up a donation can-don't wait to long or the neighbors won't take you serious--
I can't keep my line flowing if I don't brew twice a week--

My neighbor already asked me how much I'll charge to fill a growler... ;)

The picnic valve had a slow leak, through the valve tab/spring, and I lost about a quart overnight, and now my garage smells like someone puked beer. I removed the outflow line when not in use, but what a hassle. I bought a chrome tower with two perlick valves, and I'm more happy now. Very positive shut off after every dispense, and it looks beautiful. Not sure if I want the neighbors over yet.

The problem I have with kegging is its so easy to pull the tap the dam neighbors wont leave it alone so my pipeline runs out!! need 2 brew days in a row to catch up twice a month

I think the real problem is how easy it is to go back and keep pulling half pints.

I think the real problem is how easy it is to go back and keep pulling half pints.

You're not kidding. Had some friends over for games one night and we were making more trips to the kegerator than we had realized. Felt that one in the morning!

OP - I just refinished my kegerator as well. We'll, almost. I still have some painting to do yet. I just installed 4 taps out of the door on mine, and spent the last few weeks brewing and preparing for summer pool season. I had two picnic taps prior, but the draw of pouring without opening the door became too great. I'll have a Hoppy Red, Scottish 60/- ready this week (likely later today) and my summer lemon Shandy and Gf Belgian Wit for my wife with celiac. She hasn't had beer in nearly 3 years, and now she has a dedicated tap for her gluten-free brews.

Kegging makes the process feel better. Bottles have their place (gifts, strong ales, etc) but kegs make the day go faster. I kegged 10 gallons yesterday in less than an hour, and that is with meticulously cleaning and sanitizing the kegs first.

OP, get the larger diameter autosiphon, I think 1/2 inch, it makes getting the beer out of the carboy and into the keg that much faster. It is one of my more favorable pieces of equipment with kegging.

Back