I'll be in the Chicago area at the end on February. Where should I go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Schaumburg, Illinois for a business trip at the end of February. I plan to take the train to Chicago every night, so where should I go? Tap houses, breweries, liquor stores? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Not beer related, but ya gotta hit Pizzeria Uno for dinner deep dish and find an Italian Beef sandwich somewhere.

If you like Greek food, check out Greektown. My family was already partial to The Parthenon, but anything in the area should be good.

Beer-wise, I've heard the Map Room is good, but moved away when barely old enough to drink and before I got into craft beer, so I don't know that scene very well.

Go visit the neighborhood of your parents grandparents, or your wifes linage. When you get there find a nice ethnic restaurant and have lunch/dinner there. Chicago is extremely diverse with many great areas to explore. Too many cultures in Chicago to get into, but I am sure there is something for everyone.

Aside from that too many sports events, way too many museums, night clubs, and oh yea the the microbreweries. I would recommend pipeworks on the near north side. Also, for me anyway, visit second city for a good laugh. Is shopping your thing, than visit the mag mile, or state street.

Also a secret place for me with a great view of the city is the planetarium, near to soldier field. Not only is there a great view of the lake, but if you get there in the morning it will give you a magnificent view of the shoreline, or at night when all the lights are on in the city is also spectacular.

If your ever in my neck of the woods, maybe the two brothers tour would be nice.

If your ever in my neck of the woods, maybe the two brothers tour would be nice.

I keep wanting to spend more @ Two Brothers. I grew up in Wheaton (attended WWSHS), and my folks live right up Rt 59 in West Chicago. I'll even be out that way next week, and have a customer meeting in Warrenville, but no time for beer as I need to shoot straight to the airport after the meeting...

the possibilities are endless if you are heading into the city each night. check out the map of breweries here:

http://www.illinoisbeer.com/brewery-map/

Take the blue line(CTA) into the city and hit as many as you can. That map has most of them on it. I haven't been to too many of those as I'm out in the southwest suburbs so I don't know who has tap rooms and who doesn't. One place not too far from Schaumburg to check out would be Hofbrauhaus in Rosemont, authenticate German food, beer & music cool place.

Liquor store wise there is a Binny's Beverage Depot in Schaumburg too, that's probably the place to find most of the local beers.

Hope that helps!

Lagunitas just opened up their Chicago brewery

If by "opened" you mean "are in the middle of building", then yes.

As far as breweries in the city with bars/taprooms, check out Half Acre, Piece, Revolution, Goose Island, Haymarket.

For great bars, stop by Map Room, Hopleaf or Local Option.

I just got back from Chicago and if it's anything like it was last week, don't go anywhere unless you feel like freezing your arse off.

Piece Brewery and Pizzeria for dinner
Pipeworks taproom

Those would be the two I would hit-up if I had limited time. If I had a method of travel outside of train, I'd also go to 3-Floyds in NW Indiana (25 minutes from Chicago)

Pipeworks taproom

Those would be the two I would hit-up if I had limited time. If I had a method of travel outside of train, I'd also go to 3-Floyds in NW Indiana (25 minutes from Chicago)

Unfortunately, I'll only have access to the train and taxi.

Pipeworks taproom

Pipeworks doesn't have a taproom.

What are your thoughts on buying beer and getting it back to my hotel via the metra? Is that a stupid idea? Should I just stick to a liquor store in Schaumburg, close to my hotel?

If by "opened" you mean "are in the middle of building", then yes.

As far as breweries in the city with bars/taprooms, check out Half Acre, Piece, Revolution, Goose Island, Haymarket.

For great bars, stop by Map Room, Hopleaf or Local Option.

Those would be my picks as well, Two Brothers in Winfield and Solem Oath in Naperville would be 2 others if you head west a bit. Bothe hard to find but worth the effort.

I cant believe how many posts it took for you to actually get some good info.

The higher in the category they are listed, the higher priority they should carry

Breweries
3 Floyds
Revolution
Pipeworks
Two Brothers
Haymarket
Solemn Oath
Half Acre

Feel free to skip goose Island...you can drink their stuff anywhere since Inbev bought them

Bars/eateries
Hop Leaf
The Map Room
Piece--go here for dinner/beers and walk down the street to the map room

Liquor Stores
Binnys, especially the south loop location which has a dozen tap handles some of which are rare/special

I cant believe how many posts it took for you to actually get some good info.

The higher in the category they are listed, the higher priority they should carry

Breweries
3 Floyds
Revolution
Pipeworks
Two Brothers
Haymarket
Solemn Oath
Half Acre

Feel free to skip goose Island...you can drink their stuff anywhere since Inbev bought them

Bars/eateries
Hop Leaf
The Map Room
Piece--go here for dinner/beers and walk down the street to the map room

Liquor Stores
Binnys, especially the south loop location which has a dozen tap handles some of which are rare/special

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check these places out if I can.

I'd also like to add must try beers while I'm there to this thread. So any suggestions would be awesome.

Yeah? So I shouldn't be worried about getting mugged or anything?

Not at all. Metra trains are quite safe and pretty comfortable for a commuter train.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Some of their better stuff isn't that easy to find around the Chicago suburbs, much less across the country. Sure, the most common stuff is everywhere, but I'll bet if you stop by the brewpub you'll find at least a few beers that you've never even heard of.

So, things have changed a bit. I'll be staying in Elgin instead. Here's my plan:

2:00 - Leave Comfort Suites
2:10 - Arrive at Big Timber Road Metra Station
2:22 - Depart for Union Station
3:50 - Arrive at Union Station
4:00 - Take Clinton Blue Line to Washington Blue Line
4:10 - Walk to Cloud Gate
4:45 - Walk to Monroe Red Line
5:10 - Arrive at Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery
5:15-6 - Have Dinner and Beer
6:15-7 - Shop at Binny's Beverage Depot on W. Grand Ave.
7:10 - Depart from Merchandise Mart and take Brown Line to Quincy/Wells
7:20 - Walk to Union Station
7:40 - Depart Union Station to Big Timber Road
9:15 - Back at my hotel

Are there any decent liquor stores or beer bars along the MD-W? I'd prefer that if possible.

There is a Woodmans grocery store near your hotel that has a pretty decent beer selection. If I can't make it to a Binny's it is my second favorite place to stop.

You're going to downtown Chicago to eat/drink at Rock Bottom?

You can do better.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might just skip going downtown. It's going to be a long day as it is. I think I'm just gonna stay in elgin and go to the binnys in Algonquin. Or maybe I'll go to the Woodman's grocery store that the poster above mentioned.

I don't have a bunch of money to spend on taxis and trains, so I think it might be best to just buy some good beers and drink them in my room.

Unless someone has a better plan? If you know of better places easily accessed by the metra I'm all for it. I just don't want to make things too complicated.

Unless someone has a better plan? If you know of better places easily accessed by the metra I'm all for it. I just don't want to make things too complicated.

http://goo.gl/maps/ivezw

Essentially it's a "Search Nearby" for Union Station looking for "beer". Looks like there are a few places within walking distance of Union Station.

I don't know those places all that well, but via beeradvocate, yelp, etc you should be able to figure out where to find the best food and brews.

http://goo.gl/maps/ivezw

Essentially it's a "Search Nearby" for Union Station looking for "beer". Looks like there are a few places within walking distance of Union Station.

I don't know those places all that well, but via beeradvocate, yelp, etc you should be able to figure out where to find the best food and brews.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely going here: http://www.oldtownpourhouse.com/beer-pages-152.php

and here:http://farmhousechicago.com/farmhouse-chicago-beer-menu/

and then I'll stop at the Binny's on the way back to union station. The nice thing is I can take the train to get to all of them.

I picked these up at the binnys in Algonquin.
uploadfromtaptalk1393279095501.jpg
Drinking the furious now... Holy sh*t! This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had!
uploadfromtaptalk1393279111838.jpg
Who thinks I can drink them all before I leave in 3 days?

Back