Igloo vs. rubbermaid false bottom compatibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my cpvc manifold for my mash tun, and this looks like the most solid option I can find:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Stai...Assembly_p/ss-false-bottom-igloo-assembly.htm

No tubing inside, no more manifold breaking apart and burried under grain, no more burnt hands. However, this is specifically designed for an Igloo cooler, and I have a rubbermaid cooler. Does someone have both, and can tell me if the liquid exit is the same height above the base? Are the bottoms contoured in the same way?

Also, if someone else has a different all stainless solution, please let me hear it!

Thanks,
Jay

No experience with false bottom other than neighbor and brew teacher forgetting to put his in during double brew day. I personally have the igloo, but use a stainless braid hose. I have a t fitting and connect the hose on both ends to the t.

I bought this one some time ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B7GIV8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It fits perfectly in my Home Depot orange 10 gallon round cooler. The one I bought doesn't come with all the stuff the one you linked too but if you already have a bulkhead and valve installed on your current setup, you really only need a false bottom and hose and maybe a barb if your current setup doesn't have one on the inside.

The tubing I am using now is this one, came with the barb to go into the bulkhead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OEUE8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

i am now looking into replacing that braided hose with one of the high temp food grade thermo plastic tubing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't directly answer your question, but I built my own version of this with copper tubing and brass fittings. I tried to go with SS, but the price too expensive. With brass going "lead free," is there a reason you are insisting on 100% stainless? That's some expensive bling hidden inside your plastic cooler.

Personal experience with the round coolers and false bottoms. When I first started all grain, I was very frustrated with the Vorlauf. Always had grains in the runoff. Took a long and frustrating time to figure out that the glue that holds the bottom of the liner into the shell of the cooler with a sandwich of insulation came unglued. The bottom bulged upward whenever hot water was inside and the seal was disrupted, letting grain husks freely into the run-off.
You can't see it when it does this, and one time, I decided I was going to scoop out the mash after a day of frustration. I put on some heat proof rubber gloves (well they did offer some heat protection, but did get uncomfortably hot after a short while) and started scooping. That's when I discovered the problem.

I bought a bazooka screen and that fixed the problem. I would recommend a bazooka screen rather than a false bottom. In my opinion, I don't believe that you are going to experience major efficiency problems. I would get 75-78% efficiency If memory serves from that setup. Plus, false bottoms are expensive.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I went from a SS braid to a 12" false bottom and all I did was purchase a L-barb fitting (false bottom didn't come with one) and a 1/2" MPT to barb fitting for the inside of my igloo. I connected the 2 barbs with a small piece of high temp silicone and haven't had any issues yet. I can't see how you would want to disconnect the SS middle connector everytime you want to take your false bottom out to clean. Seems like alot more work for little gain. As for the igloo vs rubbermaid, the false bottom is designed to have enough curvature to drain your wort out from underneath so it should work. Most coolers are similarly flat at the bottom.

Yeah... I have everything in my system stainless, so now it's become an annoying necessity to keep it that way haha.

I was thinking of using a SS QD on one end to make it easier to take out the false bottom, but I've heard they are so snug that there isn't really any room to slip the connections away fro one another.

The only reason I've been avoiding the hose idea is that I've heard of people stiring and breaking the connection, or the grain bed squeezing the tube and reducing flow. Have you guys experienced this?

Can somone measure the igloo coolers exit height and diameter? That way I can check against mine to see if it would fit

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back