Idophor Booboo- need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastsecondapex

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale sunday that didn't leave enough headspace to krausen properly, so I affixed a blow off tube to drian into an iodine solution. I pitched my Wyeast Ringwood Ale and went to bed. Monday morning I found out that the wort still may have been a bit warm and it sucked a fair amount (maybe a cup or 2) of sanitized water into my 6.5gal batch- absolutely no activity. I pitched some washed abbey ale yeast and no activity after 48 hours now on that either. If I reboil, will the iodine evaporate out, or is this a dumper?

Thanks
Dan

Sounds like a dumper to me dude............the iodine is not a volatile compound....it will not evaporate out. The main concern is that you may have a dangerous level of iodine in the beer for human consumption. Not to mention if there's enough iodine in there to kill yeast.....the batch is gonna taste like chit.

IMO.....dump it out......lesson learned for next time.

I almost think that a re-boil is worth a shot. The iodine should come out fairly easily with a boil. Maybe someone that has gone through this before will chime in. I would say to do a 15 min boil with a gallon test batch of the brew and add a few more hops. See if the new yeast takes off.

Don't dump it! Do the math. Assuming you had 1 teaspoon iodophor in 1 quart of water for your blow-off tube to dump into, and sucked 2 cups solution into 6.5 gallons of beer, that works out to .000000399% iodine in the beer. I don't think that will hurt anything.

You pitched on Sunday, then repitched on Monday. Did you make a starter for either yeast? It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to begin, and even then, it may not be obvious. What was your process? What temp did you pitch at? What is the temp now? How old was your yeast? All factors in how long it will take for fermentation to start.

I recently brewed on the spur of the moment. I didn't have time to make a starter, and pitched two vials of yeast I had washed last fall. Complete and total yeast abuse! After 72 hours and no signs of fermentation, I went to take a hydro reading, and lo and behold, a small krausen was forming. I left it alone. Took about a week for activity to finish, but the yeast somehow managed to ferment that beer.

RDWHAHB and believe in the yeast! They are hardy critters!

The ringwood was an activated smack pack, pitched at what I thought to be 80 degrees, from the sample I took for hydro reading... It must have been quite a bit warmer to backlog iodophor solution through a 48" blow off tube. The abbey ale yeast was washed from 2 months ago, but I pitched 6oz of it, which in reality should have been way too much. I've never had a slow fermentation, so that is why i'm concerned. OG was 1.065

Here's some info I got from the web....Mr. Wizzard actually. Take it for what its worth and do some research on your own please before you drink that stuff. Don't just take our word for it. SAFETY FIRST GUYS, ITS ONLY A 5 GALLON BATCH OF BEER. IMO

"Iodophor is a very effective sanitizer and, unlike bleach, can safely be used as a no-rinse sanitizer without adversely affecting the flavor of your beer. The recommended concentration of iodophor is 25 parts per million. Most iodophors are diluted so that the typical use rate is somewhere around 0.1 ounce per gallon (7.8 mL per liter). They are always labeled with instructions giving suggested usage rates. If you use it at this concentration and allow your equipment to properly drain, you will be in good shape. Iodophor does have a flavor and, when used at higher-than-recommended strengths, it can impart an iodine flavor to beer — especially if it is not drained from the equipment surface.

Excessive iodine intake (extended consumption of about 0.75 milligrams per day) can cause iodine goiter, a condition characterized by enlargement of the thyroid gland. One ounce of a 25 ppm iodophor solution contains 0.75 milligrams of iodine. To leave that much sanitizer on your equipment would correspond to very careless technique. In addition, your beer would taste objectionable and the off-flavor would be a good warning sign to pay attention to your sanitation procedures. I suppose the flip side is that if you had 1/10th of an ounce (which is still a pretty fair volume) of residual on beer bottles and drank 10 beers per day you could have the same effect.

For more information on cleaning and sanitizing, see Steve Bader’s article, “Beer Minus Bacteria,” in this issue."

Source - Mr. Wizzard - link:

http://***********/stories/wizard/article/section/121-mr-wizard/236-bleach-and-iodine-mr-wizard

SAFETY FIRST GUYS, ITS ONLY A 5 GALLON BATCH OF BEER. IMO

100% agree. :mug: I'd let it ferment out, taste it, and if not completely sure, then I would dump.

I still think it will be fine. 25 ppm is perfectly safe. This is only about .399 ppm. Remember, the iodophor was diluted in water, then diluted again in 6.5 gallons of beer. Only the OP knows how much iodophor he put in the solution, and he must make the drink/dump decision.

pksmitty said:
I recently brewed on the spur of the moment. I didn't have time to make a starter, and pitched two vials of yeast I had washed last fall. Complete and total yeast abuse! After 72 hours and no signs of fermentation, I went to take a hydro reading, and lo and behold, a small krausen was forming. I left it alone. Took about a week for activity to finish, but the yeast somehow managed to ferment that beer.

RDWHAHB and believe in the yeast! They are hardy critters!

You might just be a genius, checked late last night and some bubbles were forming, this morning there was krausen and bubbles at 3-4 per second. Only problem now is that if it turns out great I wont know which to use ringwood or abbey ale yeast if I want to rebrew

Excessive iodine intake (extended consumption of about 0.75 milligrams per day) can cause iodine goiter, a condition characterized by enlargement of the thyroid gland. One ounce of a 25 ppm iodophor solution contains 0.75 milligrams of iodine. [/B]

valid concerns...if you were drinking 1 ounce of sanitizing solution at 25ppm.. but once it's added to 6 gallons of beer its FAR less than 25ppm. not to mention extended consumption of 25ppm solution would indicate repeatedly drinking it over an extend time frame. I agree with the need to be careful but in this case I think it be a crime to dump the beer.

You might just be a genius, checked late last night and some bubbles were forming, this morning there was krausen and bubbles at 3-4 per second. Only problem now is that if it turns out great I wont know which to use ringwood or abbey ale yeast if I want to rebrew

Nah. I'm just repeating what several others (most notably Revvy) have been saying on this board for a long time. I'm glad it seems to be working out for you. :mug:

I used Ringwood in an experimental batch I did a while back, an Orange Chocolate Porter. IIRC even pitching a proper starter and all that jazz, the ringwood still took about 3 days to really show noticable signs of activity. I usually get good activity by 12-14 hours.

I put iodine in drinking water when camping, climbing etc. People all over the world do the same. You may be able to taste it at high concentrations in beer, but not from a airlock. Was it undiluted iodaphor in the airlock? If not no worries.

Back