Ideas to counter Bitter Orange Peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I made a 3 gal batch of a citrusy mead with .5oz of; sweet orange peel, bitter orange peel, lemon peel, and lemon grass.

It's only been a few weeks so I'm sure mellowing will take away some of the bitterness, but right now it is extremely bitter. I'm not sure if I should try to add more sweet orange peel, backsweeten after fermentation, add acid, or what. Any ideas?

It was pre-packaged from the brew store, so I'm not totally sure but it didn't seem to have much on it, but honestly I wasn't even looking that hard when I threw it in. So assuming there was some on it, probably not much I can do to get rid of it, huh? Maybe the difference between sweet orange peel and bitter orange peel is more pith?

Just like the Jaom Recipe which does use all the pith for extra bitterness you make the brew sweet. Give it time first and bulk age about 3 months. If still way to bitter then back sweeten to a gravity of about 1.02 and see how it is from there.

Latest posts

Back