Ideas on my Pineapple Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markvale5

Reaction score
So I brewed my usual blonde ale recipe. I mash 9lbs of 2-row and 0.5lbs of crystal 10 at 152 for 60 minutes. Did a 90 minute boil with 0.80oz Willamette at 60 minutes and 0.20oz Willamette at 25 minutes. This is a 5 gallon batch and I plan on doing primary for 2 weeks then off to secondary. I'm planning on transferring to secondary on top of 5lbs of fresh chopped pineapple for 2 weeks. Any ideas on this recipe? Do you think this will be enough to have the pineapple flavor come foward?

i think of pineapple as a very strong fruit. it isnt subtle by any means. the best pineapple has a nice tart-ness to it. the acidity is great and what makes it great!

so adding it to a base beer that is very mild means the pineapple will take over. may come out too sweet and too acidic with the amount you put in there. i would also boost the hop perceived bitterness with some whirlpool additions.

honestly, the best way to find out is to split your batch into 3-5 samples that you put varying amounts of pineapple in so that you can get a feel for how it works with that base beer.

I've done the same only I added half a pineapple and 5 green jalapeños to 5 gallons of wort. It was awesome! 1 week is all it took to impart a subtle pineapple flavor and a touch of heat. Perfect.

I would think that using tropical piney hops would compliment the pineapple flavor better than willamette wouldve. Willamette is more spicy/woody which might not work too well in tandem with the pineapple fruit.

But I would start at like 3lbs in a secondary and maybe making a concentrated puree out of the rest to add to taste at bottling. YOu should get a second fermentation which will start from teh sugars in the fruit

Latest posts

Back