Ideal Mash Temp for a Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I am going to brew a Golden Barleywine with 22 lbs of 2 row and 1 pound of Carivienne (IBU 70). With my system I expect an OG of about 1.117. I'll be using a big pitch of Nottingham and I'll let it ferment at about 68f.

OG, mash temp, yeast type and crystal malt all influence the Final Gravity (FG). I've never brewed a beer this big. If I mash too low it will be rocket fuel. If I mash too high it could be too sweet. I think an FG of 1.020 to 1.025 would be about right.

Using Nottingham, 1 pound of crystal malt and an OG of 1.117 what FGs might I expect with a 60 minute mash at these temps?

150f
152f
154f
156f

It will be hard to mash too low with a 1.117 OG expected. I did the 999 barleywine with an OG of 1.114 @ 148F mash temp. With two rehydrated packs of US-05 for 4G into the fermentor it got down to 1.020 for an 80% apparent attenuation and 12.3% ABV.

Low. 148-150F should be about right. I'd surprised if Notty can even get it that low.

Yeah, and Id do a 90 minute mash in the high 140s. It wont lack body at that gravity. The biggest concern is being too sweet, it wont be too thin.

You might need a different yeast. I havent used notty in a high gravity, but make sure its alcohol tolerant enough. 12%+ is asking a lot. Or, really, 1.100 is plenty you know.

A beer that big is going to need a fair amount of aging (a year?). You may wish to up the IBUs to compensate as they will fade with time.

I'll throw out my best guess, 1.028. That's a big beer and I think your mash schedule is a little on the high side for the gravity you're trying achieve. Consider about 20 minutes at 148 then move through to 154.

I'm really just guessing based on my experience with big (but not that big) Belgians.

Still thinking this through. If you have a really healthy big pitch of yeast, 2 or 3 doses of O2, and good temp control, maybe you'll get there.

Wait for more input for more experienced big beer brewers.

Well I see I was too slow, but good to see others have similar thoughts.

Last edited:
I was asking what my expected FG would be at the various mash temps. I didn't intend to do a step mash but I see how it was easily misunderstood.

Taking the advice I think I will give the Nottingham a break and try to hit 1.100 by lowering it to 19 lbs of 2 row and use 8 oz of Cara-vienna relying on a 2 hour boil for carmelization. I hope to get to 1.020 or a little lower. I will do a 90 minute mash at 149.

My cooler tends to lose a few degrees over an hour mash. Should I add a little hot water at about 45 minutes to maintain the upper 140s or just let it slowly drop?

Thanks for the help.

I prefer keeping the variables controlled as best I can so I would opt to refresh the temp twice at 30 and 60 minutes, plus some good stirring too.

Latest posts

Back